DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Framing and Foundation > Is it possible to increase foundation size by 6 feet

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-01-2009, 09:42 AM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1
Default Is it possible to increase foundation size by 6 feet

New to the Forum, and hope I'm posting in correct area. I have an opportunity to buy a nice house on a great piece of property, but rooms are just too small. My question and hopeful plan is this. The house is currently 42 ft wide split entry that is 24 ft deep. I would like to increase foundation size to 30 ft deep by 50 ft long. I would like to know if it is possible to increase the house depth (the direction floor joists run) by 6 ft. This would allow me to move back wall of house out 6 ft. I believe adding 8 ft to the length of house is a fairly common addition. I have looked at using 30 ft attic trusses to gain storage space above first floor. Would these type of trusses require the use of load bearing walls below, or would it be possble to have some space run full 30 feet as one open room?
Allthough I have done many remodeling projects in the past myself, this major one is all new to me. Would my first move be to contact a builder who specializes in additions, or to find a structural engineer to tell me if project is feasible. I guess I'm just not sure how to best get answers to whether or not my idea works. I greatly appreciate any insight tha can be provided.

icemn5444 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 05:53 PM  
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,990
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Welcome IceMn:
Yes, the project is possible however, there are some things to consider; Will local codes allow the expansion? You will be replacing a large percentage of the house, about 30% and the cost per square foot could run as much as double the amount of the psf price of the original purchase. Replacing the trusses means the whole roof, shingles, decking, insulation, ceilings and electrical that is in the ceiling. Will the soil have an equal bearing capability under the addition?
Yes, tursses can be used as clear-span; they are typically engineered for that.
It would be far less trying and expensive to continue your search for a house that suits your needs. Unless, of course, the land is that much of a premium location.
glennjanie is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:41 AM  
inspectorD's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Litchfield, CT
Posts: 4,486
Liked 262 Times on 206 Posts
Likes Given: 762

Default Professionals

I would have to recommend an engineer for your area. Knowing how strict Mass is on everything I would go for an engineer due to the many questions which will come up. A contractor may do, if they are really good, and they have references where they have done this many times before.
Finding an architectural company or Remodeling company that has an engineer in the office is also a good way to go, but the bottom line is, they have to hire an engineer.
Good luck.
Just My
Made in the
inspectorD is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
How do I move this wall over 5 feet? farmerjohn1324 Carpentry and Woodworking 13 12-20-2017 06:53 PM
Minimum wage increase Chris General Chit-Chat 149 01-31-2017 08:32 PM
Doing what to the garage will increase the value of the home the most? phjmp General Home Improvement Discussion 7 06-05-2012 11:09 PM