DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Bricks, Masonry and Concrete > Repair needed for heavily traveled garage floor

Old 05-03-2009, 03:53 PM  
Bandag

Default Repair needed for heavily traveled garage floor

Hi all, I work in an old garage building that is being used as a auto repair shop. We pull cars in and out all day. A certain spot about 4 foot around keeps cracking and crumbling and I have patched it time after time. I have used patching cement but it doesn't last. I clean it real good down to about 2 inches and dampen it. My question is what type of cement should I be using that will last for a while under car traffic? Someone suggested portland cement and someone said I would have to find road grade cement. I'm just not sure and don't want to have to keep patching it every couple of months. Thanks for your help.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2009, 06:53 PM  
glennjanie

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via AIM to glennjanie

Welcome Bandag:
You may have to cut the floor all the way through, Drill #4 re-bar 9" into the existing floor every foot around the hole, insert with epoxy. Make sure the bottom is dug down to undisturbed earth, no mud. Add 4" of limestone to keep the water down away from the concrete, cover with 6mil plastic. Now lay a mat of #4 bars in the hole with a bar eack foot in each direction (1' squares) and use 4,000# rated concrete to fill the hole. Use a 16d nail to rake around the hole between the new and old about 1" deep while it is still wet, cure the concrete and fill back with silicone caulk.
Glenn

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply