Can I have my old air return system back?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joebob

Reaction score
I own a 1954 block home that was built on a crawl space foundation. The house has air returns in all three bedrooms, 2 in the hallway, and one in the kitchen, which are on the wall near the floor. Each of these returns goes under the house and meets in a utility closet where the air handler was located.

When we moved in, my wife wanted the extra room from that utility closet to expand closet space in a bedroom. The AC unit was having problems, so we got a new unit and put it on top of the house. We don’t use those returns anymore (air handler/blower was also taken out)-there is just one big one in the hallway ceiling.

I would like to start using the old returns again and get rid of the big return in the hallway ceiling. We still haven’t done anything with the utility closet, so it’s just a hole in the floor. Would it be possible to connect this hole from the floor into the attic with metal ductwork? I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Jeff

Welcome Jeff:
Yes, it would be possible to connect the old returns to the attic. You may want to check them for rust and continuity first. Then you could go to a vocational school and have a duct made for your custom application.
It would give you much more even distribution of the air in the house.
Glenn

I wouldn't mind paying for the ductwork. I was just worried about somehow voiding the warranty on my AC or even screwing it up when I mess with things on my own.

Back