Help on new house foundation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

registered

Reaction score
We are building a new house with a builder. They made a mistake to put our house 62-foot away from the curb other than 52 fee as we wanted. That made our backyard very small, ~22-foot deep. When we found it out, they already poured concrete to the footer. We were not happy with it. So they added new footer to the existing one to make the foundation 10-foot forward. According to them, the new and existing foundation were linked by three #4 rebars.

We are really worried about future structural problems with this foundation. But they insisted that there should be no problem. Should we build the house on the modified foundation? or maybe we should build on the original foundation. That will make the backyard small...

Any suggestion? thanks

I'd get your local Building Inspector out there pronto! Find out if the setback is enough, some places it's 25'. Ask if you will ever be able to build a deck there. Is the first footing going to be in the crawl space? I'd have them demo it out of there. Not your mistake to live with, especially if you need to dig some deck footings or garden structure. Structurally, ask the inspector when he comes for your courtesy call. I sure wouldn't let them leave any of it in my yard. He who hold the money....
Be safe, G

Thanks for your reply. The part they modified is the footer, and they are going to put poured-concrete foundation wall on top of it. So I guess the footer will not be in the crawl space. Our worry is that the new and existing foot will separate later and cause cracks, water leaking.

Back