DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Windows and Doors > condensation in sliding glass door

Old 05-09-2006, 07:25 PM  
WalterSobcheck

Default condensation in sliding glass door

I was pressure-washing my deck last week and threw some water at my sliding glass doors. Now I look at it and there is some condensation between the two glass panes. I'm sure I just forced some water between the glass and the frame. Is there a smart guy here who might know of a little trick that will let me get rid of that stuff? It is mighty annoying when you try to look out into your backyard and can't see anything, and I don't have the cash to buy a whole new set of doors.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2006, 07:41 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterSobcheck
Is there a smart guy here who might know of a little trick that will let me get rid of that stuff?
Smart allec says, "Replace it."

Quote:
I don't have the cash to buy a whole new set of doors.
That's no good. The pressure washer has apparently broken the seal and has started the process of ruining the glass. Pressure washers and insulated glass do not play well together. See if it will clear up with a little time, but I'm afraid that the damage is done.

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 05-09-2006, 07:47 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Your local glass company may be able to replace the glass. It's expensive, but maybe cheaper than replacing the whole door.

[URL="http://www.houserepairtalk.com/announcement.php?f=39&a=6"][size=3]The Ten Commandments of House Repair Talk[/size][/URL]

[URL="http://home.bellsouth.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=289528&ck="]Square Eye's home page[/URL]

Old 05-09-2006, 07:57 PM  
WalterSobcheck

Crap. I was afraid of that. Can you replace a single door in a sliding set or does it have to be the whole thing?

Old 05-09-2006, 09:04 PM  
Square Eye

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

You can take the frame, or remove the frame and just take it to the glass company for them to measure. They can order a new panel. Do not measure it yourself. If it comes back wrong, you don't need to be responsible for it.

I had a window panel replaced for a regular customer of mine recently, the panel was about 18"x54". It costed about $90.00. Because of the labor involved, a sliding door panel may not be much more. I removed the glass and reassembled the frame. That saved some cash. It may be worthwhile to have them reassemble it for you. Still would be cheaper than replacing the door.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:47 PM  
woodworkingmenace

Send a message via MSN to woodworkingmenace

Actually, I would pay for them to take it apart also. That way, they will know how its done...(Also, they will "know" where all the screws are, the hardware and will be responsible for everything, because if you lose it, then you will be responsible still, and they will charge extra for having to get parts and for all the extra time they spend on the door).

But, thats just my opinion only..

Jesse

Old 05-10-2006, 07:34 PM  
Oberon

Just curious, but who made your doors and how old are they? Condensation between panes is a warranty issue, it just depends on who'e warranty and how long it lasts.

You never noticed moisture between the panes prior to the pressure-washing incident? Unless you actually sprayed the high pressure water directly at the edge of the lite where it disappears behind the sash, I can't think of a way that the pressure washer would have caused your problem...

Old 05-13-2006, 10:48 PM  
Plumb1up

I have to go with Oberon on this one. Unless you shot the water directly at the edge of the glass, where the seal is, I see no way the water could have gotten inside the glass.
Unfortunately, dual pane glass door and window seals seem to suffer from the same problem computer hard drives do. It's not a matter of if they will fail, but when. Thats why the manufacturers don't have lifetime warranties on them, they just don't last for a lifetime.
The seals are getting better but they still aren't perfect.
I had a set of Anderson sliding doors that failed in less than two years and started condensing on the inside. I was surprised to say the least.
They can be fixed, and many manufacturers have a supposed lifetime warranty, but it is for the lifetime of the original installer. If that is your case you may be in luck. It never hurts to call the manufacturer to find out.
Good Luck
Roger

Old 05-14-2006, 01:06 PM  
woodworkingmenace

Send a message via MSN to woodworkingmenace

I once sprayed my car with a 1.5 inch hose (huge ice storm and I had an inch of ice all over the car), and wouldnt you know, it blasted right into the car through the seals in the window...(Yea, I know, what an idiot!).

I had to dehumidify the car, wet&dry vac it, and put a heater in there for a few days to really dry it out... So, I know seals wont hold against a lot of pressure... (Another thing I can attest to, if anyone asks for a DIY LOL!).

I dont know if there is anyway to "heat" the glass? Maybe get a piece of metal, paint it black, and tape it to the inside of the glass, so that it heats the inside up... (Might just force the water vapors out, but, like you said the "integrity is lost" and it will probably do the same, if you DO get the water out)...

Just an idea...

Oh, I would get the piece of metal large enough to cover the exact dimensions of the window...

Jesse

Old 05-14-2006, 08:38 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 133 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 340

Default You blew a seal?

Nope not going there.You basically have no recourse but to change out the glass. I have seen thousands of these failures and (coincidence)all glass guy's have said the same thing. No fixi'n it.You most likely did it by applying the pressure to the window.This flex's the glass and presto-chango fogged glass syndrome.
Keep those pressure washers at the least 12 inches away at all times.
Powerful little critters.

Just My
Made in the

Quick Reply