DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Roofing and Siding > Patio cover need insulation?

Old 08-24-2009, 08:30 PM  
pem

Default Patio cover need insulation?

I'm planning to build a low-slope roof over a 12x24 patio. I'll be removing the soffit/fascia on the home's exterior wall, cutting off the rafter tails and securing the patio rafters on top of the wall plate w/ rafter ties. In most cases, I'd leave the underside of the patio cover unfinished, except for paint. However, the summers here in S. GA are so hot and humid, I don't want the roof to radiate heat down onto the patio. I know that pre-fab sunrooms use insulated panels for the roof, so I'm wondering if I can't accomplish the same thing by insulating between the rafters and installing a 1/4" plywood ceiling. I'm assuming this is the same way that covered carports are built? Will this work? Should I use fiberglass batt insulation, or styrofoam panels? What precautions do I need to take to make sure I don't have problems in the future? Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2009, 07:13 AM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 125 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Default well

I would use a styrofoam board like blue board. Just stick it between the rafters and call it a day. In your climate it should not cause any issues.
There are also reflective barriers you can put down under the shingles, don't waste your money. Put down a reflective type roof covering. The flat roof you are talking about should not be shingles. I would suggest a mulehide peel and stick, or a rubber membrane material. Both come in silver or white.
Good luck.

Just My
Made in the

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
patio cover, patio insulation, patio roof

Quick Reply