The real cure is not what you put into the system, but what you don't put in it. Septic systems work with natural bacteria that eats the solids. If you "overuse" caustic chemicals such as bleach, you can kill the bacteria. Some household waste such as grease and oil can slow the process of digestion also. I never recommend a disposal in a sink with a septic tank. Why add even more solids to it? Female personal hygiene products should not be flushed, nor cigarette butts. My tank in Florida was never pumped in the 11 years I lived there, and had no problems. Not saying it doesn't help, but can be reduced to every 5 years with normal and conscientious use.
if you have never made a mistake, you probably haven't done much.