Mold?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Me

Reaction score
I didn't know were to post this because there wasn't a mold thingie, but I think I have mold. At first I thought it was just dirt, but It seems to be coming back. I had my house inspected for insurance purposes about a month ago and I specifically asked the inspector about mold. He said he hadn't found any but that he would tell me if he did. It's brownish. I cleaned it it came back. I have mushrooms all over the property. I don't know if one has anyhting to do with the other just thought I would throw that in there.
Thanks in advance
Brian

Depending on what your cleaning it with and where the source is coming from, recurring mold will happen.
Bleach and water will clean it but, a 10% mixture of vinegar and water will change the Ph level so that the mold won't come back AFTER you eliminate the source.

First, check if you have allergies on both the molds and its cleaning products. You said its coming back, hence its either you didn't totally clean it up or there is a leak near that area. If you prefer cleaning it alone, try soap and water; vinegar and water solution or bleach in water. If its totally black mold then I suggest you try to call an expert mold remover since black molds are a bit hazardous to our health.

I agree with Steven. There are lots of health problems that can cause by molds. Call an expert if ti gets worst. Well, correct me if I'm wrong, dehumidifiers can prevent molds right? Try it out as well.

Mr. Me:

I'm no expert on mold, but I spent an evening researching harmful molds a week or two ago for a similar post in another forum. What I learned from that was as follows:

1. MOST molds (which are fungii) don't cause any health problems. Only a very few fungii produce spores with a poison called "mycotoxin" on the surface of those spores that are suspected of causing "sick building" syndrome where people who live or work in the building with that kind of mold tend to have poorer health than the general population.

2. There is a great deal of debate as to whether people can get sick just by inhaling fungii spores that have mycotoxins on their surface. Although field trials show that people who work in "sick buildings" tend to be sicker, the amount of micotoxins ingested would suggest the amount is far too small to have any effect. Serious health problems (like liver failure) only come from ingesting a large quantity of mycotoxin, and that's typically caused by eating a mushroom that produces mycotoxins.

3. Any effect on health from inhaling airborne spores with mycotoxins will disappear once the source of the mycotoxins is removed. So, the effect of molds on your health is generally small, and only lasts as long as you're exposed to the mycotoxins.

For more info, read my post in the thread entitled:
"What is safe removal of water damaged floors and walls that already have mold spores"
by MikeHolmsfan in the "General Home Improvement Discussion" forum.

Mr. Me

Echoing on the previous replies, mould is a complex issue. It is impossible to avoid mould spores, they exist everywhere. When given the right environment they will germinate and flourish. Having to correct mould problems means there was a failure in controlling the environment, in building materials and systems, and operation and maintenance of the home. Prevention is the key - keep your home dry and remove food supply such as wood, paper, dirt, soil, or dust. How high is the humidity in your area? It is recommended to keep your home between 35 and 50% rh. Are there means to control moisture in your home such as air conditioning / de-humidification?

Once you have confirmed that you have mould and you are comfortable that you have addressed its re-occurrence (control moisture, lower humidity to below 60% rh, and remove mould food supply). Cleanup with a disinfectant such as 'Benefect' may be a good alternative to cleaners containing ammonia, chlorine, oxidizers or alcohols.

I have my leather couches in storage. There was a leak in there and now they have mold on them. Can they be saved. They've had mold since April of 2009. We are moving into an apt soon and I do not know if this is a health hazard if we cleaned them. Can they be cleaned and with what? Will the mold grow back?
couach-mold.jpg

Did you figure out what you are going to do?

a few symptoms dermatitis, dizziness, fatigue, algias, irritability, weakness, burning eyes, arthritis, lower IQ, chest pain, shortness of breath, confusion, hyperactivity, symptoms attributed to MS, heart palpitations, cravings for sweets or carbohydrates, gastrointestinal distress such as irritable bowel, indigestion, heartburn, etc., and much more. As you can see it is a serious issue and needs sorting asap.

Mold can be harmful or helpful — depending on where it grows. Molds that grow inside may be different from the ones found outdoors.The presence of mold is a sign that there is too much moisture in your home — a situation which must be corrected. You may need professional help when: There is a lot of mold, The home is very damp and moist, Mold comes back after repeated cleaning, A family member suffers from asthma or respiratory problems or other health problems that appear to be aggravated inside the home

get a professional mold inspector in there ASAP. Health side effects of black mold exposure are pretty bad.

More reading if interested ..... mold removal

I think it’s time to call the professionals. They will help you to get rid of the mold. Or follow the procedure precisely and do not leave on surface very long.

Latest posts

Back