DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Cleaning > Mold?




Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 10:05 AM  
Mr.Me
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2
Default Mold?

I didn't know were to post this because there wasn't a mold thingie, but I think I have mold. At first I thought it was just dirt, but It seems to be coming back. I had my house inspected for insurance purposes about a month ago and I specifically asked the inspector about mold. He said he hadn't found any but that he would tell me if he did. It's brownish. I cleaned it it came back. I have mushrooms all over the property. I don't know if one has anyhting to do with the other just thought I would throw that in there.
Thanks in advance
Brian



__________________
Mr.Me is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 03:26 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Grand Blanc, MI
Posts: 2,213
Liked 115 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Default

Depending on what your cleaning it with and where the source is coming from, recurring mold will happen.
Bleach and water will clean it but, a 10% mixture of vinegar and water will change the Ph level so that the mold won't come back AFTER you eliminate the source.



__________________
kok328 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-22-2009, 08:56 PM  
BobAristide
Faux stone panels
 
BobAristide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 52
Default

Be careful. Mold can cause lots of health issue..as you probably know. Have you checked the moisture level in the house/room? you might want to check for leaks.
Check this out.

Mold health hazards, conditions, problems & symptoms

__________________
BobAristide is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2009, 12:33 PM  
stevensonjames88
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14
Default

First, check if you have allergies on both the molds and its cleaning products. You said its coming back, hence its either you didn't totally clean it up or there is a leak near that area. If you prefer cleaning it alone, try soap and water; vinegar and water solution or bleach in water. If its totally black mold then I suggest you try to call an expert mold remover since black molds are a bit hazardous to our health.

__________________

[url=http://www.getmoldremovaltips.com][b]Mold Removal Tips[/b][/url]

stevensonjames88 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2010, 11:26 PM  
frozenstar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 253
Default

I agree with Steven. There are lots of health problems that can cause by molds. Call an expert if ti gets worst. Well, correct me if I'm wrong, dehumidifiers can prevent molds right? Try it out as well.

__________________
frozenstar is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-03-2010, 01:58 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin
 
Nestor_Kelebay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Posts: 1,844
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Mr. Me:

I'm no expert on mold, but I spent an evening researching harmful molds a week or two ago for a similar post in another forum. What I learned from that was as follows:

1. MOST molds (which are fungii) don't cause any health problems. Only a very few fungii produce spores with a poison called "mycotoxin" on the surface of those spores that are suspected of causing "sick building" syndrome where people who live or work in the building with that kind of mold tend to have poorer health than the general population.

2. There is a great deal of debate as to whether people can get sick just by inhaling fungii spores that have mycotoxins on their surface. Although field trials show that people who work in "sick buildings" tend to be sicker, the amount of micotoxins ingested would suggest the amount is far too small to have any effect. Serious health problems (like liver failure) only come from ingesting a large quantity of mycotoxin, and that's typically caused by eating a mushroom that produces mycotoxins.

3. Any effect on health from inhaling airborne spores with mycotoxins will disappear once the source of the mycotoxins is removed. So, the effect of molds on your health is generally small, and only lasts as long as you're exposed to the mycotoxins.

For more info, read my post in the thread entitled:
"What is safe removal of water damaged floors and walls that already have mold spores"
by MikeHolmsfan in the "General Home Improvement Discussion" forum.

__________________
Nestor_Kelebay is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2010, 03:02 PM  
aardvark
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5
Default

Mr. Me

Echoing on the previous replies, mould is a complex issue. It is impossible to avoid mould spores, they exist everywhere. When given the right environment they will germinate and flourish. Having to correct mould problems means there was a failure in controlling the environment, in building materials and systems, and operation and maintenance of the home. Prevention is the key - keep your home dry and remove food supply such as wood, paper, dirt, soil, or dust. How high is the humidity in your area? It is recommended to keep your home between 35 and 50% rh. Are there means to control moisture in your home such as air conditioning / de-humidification?

Once you have confirmed that you have mould and you are comfortable that you have addressed its re-occurrence (control moisture, lower humidity to below 60% rh, and remove mould food supply). Cleanup with a disinfectant such as 'Benefect' may be a good alternative to cleaners containing ammonia, chlorine, oxidizers or alcohols.

__________________
aardvark is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2010, 03:07 PM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
TxBuilder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 1,677
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebrown25 View Post
I have my leather couches in storage. There was a leak in there and now they have mold on them. Can they be saved. They've had mold since April of 2009. We are moving into an apt soon and I do not know if this is a health hazard if we cleaned them. Can they be cleaned and with what? Will the mold grow back?
Did you figure out what you are going to do?
__________________
TxBuilder is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2010, 03:28 AM  
oldognewtrick
Moderator
HRT_MODERATOR.png
 
oldognewtrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 5,685
Liked 494 Times on 411 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgebrown25 View Post
How much does mold removal cost for an entire house?
George, thats like asking how long is a string. Look in the phone book under cleaning or mold abatement and get someone to give a written proposal and inspection.
__________________
oldognewtrick is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2010, 07:38 AM  
Jimbo56
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 20
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

a few symptoms dermatitis, dizziness, fatigue, algias, irritability, weakness, burning eyes, arthritis, lower IQ, chest pain, shortness of breath, confusion, hyperactivity, symptoms attributed to MS, heart palpitations, cravings for sweets or carbohydrates, gastrointestinal distress such as irritable bowel, indigestion, heartburn, etc., and much more. As you can see it is a serious issue and needs sorting asap.



__________________
Jimbo56 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
HELP!!! I have mold V92C General Home Improvement Discussion 3 02-15-2010 09:11 PM
Mold please help sp9659 Flooring 2 02-12-2010 11:41 PM
New to Mold moldgirl Introductions 4 11-11-2009 02:14 AM
Is this MOLD? kc2651 General Home Improvement Discussion 9 01-18-2008 01:29 PM
dry rot and mold starrider Carpentry and Woodworking 27 07-26-2006 01:07 AM

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS