DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Mold down my fireplace. Help!

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-14-2009, 06:30 PM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 1
Default Mold down my fireplace. Help!

hi all.

We just bought a house with a leaky fireplace. The flashing on the roof has lost it's seal. From the water that has leaked through and into and around the upstairs fireplace for who knows how long I have a strong sour moldy smell all around my fireplace. I have ripped out all the moldy drywall that was in the downstairs ceiling around and under the fireplace but it stillll stinks bad. How do I kill all the mold I assume is growing like mad down the inside of the Upstairs fireplace? Pour bleach water into the loose flashing on the roof and let it trickle down behind the fireplace and walls and hope it kills it all then reseal the flashing or just fix the flashing and hope over time the mold will dry up and go away, or some other solution other than tearing down the whole fireplace.??

Jasonblu is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 07:40 AM  
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Grand Blanc, MI
Posts: 2,725
Liked 241 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 113


I think I just read here that bleach will clean up the mold but, the spores will close up and begin to grow again after awhile. I was told that a 10:1 ratio of water and vinegar will change the Ph level to the point that the mold will not reoccur.
kok328 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:06 AM  
Cork Flooring Pros
Cork-Guy's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 243

Mold is a serious issue; you won't be able to destroy all the mold since the spores have probably traveled beyond the initial leak and your attempts with bleach or the 10:1 water\vinegar ratio won't get it all. For the safety of your family consult with a professional service that deals with mold and mildew removing.
Cork Flooring - Ventless Fireplace
Cork-Guy is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Found mold during home inspection, owner says its not mold troubleinspace Walls and Ceilings 9 03-29-2014 11:33 AM
Mold?? aquamar38 Painting Forum 7 03-05-2013 05:43 AM
Is this mold? ws669 General Home Improvement Discussion 7 01-20-2012 03:49 PM
Mold....ew glennken General Home Improvement Discussion 6 04-01-2011 09:07 AM
New to Mold moldgirl Introductions 4 11-11-2009 02:14 AM

Newest Threads