DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > which type of cornerbead?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-17-2010, 01:25 PM  
Senior Member
handyguys's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 815
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


okay - not reading Nestor or Taper guy, sorry if I repeat.

I prefer the metal corner bead. My opinion is it is the strongest. It doesn't require anything special to install it. just use drywall screws.

The Handyguys Podcast
handyguys is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:38 PM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: hudson, wisconsin
Posts: 12
Default Cornerbead-final thoughts

Hello Nestor, Actually it's been kindof entertaining debating cornerbead ins and outs. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. It seems your biggest hangup about metal is the dent removal problem so let me reiterate the best ways to do so. I suggested tin snips mainly because this is geared toward homeowners and the tools they have available. For smaller dents I like I said tap it from the outer edge of the dent til it is straight then recoat it. For significant damage you have to remove the damaged area and install a splice piece. To cut through the bead above the damage for removal there are many different methods. Tin snips do work and the ones I use personally aren't as big as the ones you have pictured but do flare the corners when the cut is made you simply fasten them back down and add a splice where the damage was making sure it is straight with a level. But I prefer to make the cut with either a small cordless metal saw or a hacksaw. And I think everyone owns stapler or at least should. Also I prefer staples for fastening mainly because screws tend to warp the bead and don't stay as flush to the drywall making coating more difficult.

Last edited by taperguy71; 09-17-2010 at 05:42 PM.
taperguy71 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Can someone tell what type of sealant this is? Chris2 Roofing and Siding 3 09-14-2014 12:55 PM
Type of molding jmc0319 Carpentry and Woodworking 2 01-02-2014 04:32 PM
Mesh over Cornerbead? SPISurfer Flooring 6 09-16-2010 05:33 PM
Help with unknown wall type and unknown paint type needtofixwall Walls and Ceilings 2 09-16-2010 11:08 AM
Question on Cornerbead around Closets RESMom Flooring 2 02-04-2009 08:47 PM

Newest Threads