DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Replacing main water supply line.......with "help" from lowes ><

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-13-2009, 08:06 PM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1
Default Replacing main water supply line.......with "help" from lowes ><

Ok, so Im replacing the main water supply line at my fiance's mothers house. There had been galvanized pipe in there from lord knows how long ago. It is believed to be the original plumbing, so 70+ years old. The entire inside of the pipe was almost completely closed due to rust and sediment buildup.

I asked a few people i know what i should use to replace the pipe, and got similar answers of sch 40 PVC is fine. Im in Cali, so there isnt a frost issue.

I get to Lowes to ask a few final questions, and Im told by 3 different people to most definatly not use PVC as it wont be able to handle the pressure........60-80 is what I thought normal pressure for a house is, and this 3/4in PVC was rated at 480PSI.

Am I wrong with going with Sch40 PVC? I picked it cause it seemed to be the easiest fix as well as quite cheap. Any info would be helpful!

BhodiLi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 08:46 AM  
Water well etc.
Speedbump's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Riverview, Fl.
Posts: 672
Liked 73 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 43


We use thin wall PVC for practically everything and it holds up just fine. It's more flexable than SCH40 and doesn't shatter as easily. It's usually rated at 160psi or higher, so if it will take the pressure, SCH40 certainly will. I have no idea why they told you not to use it.

Poly pipe is good as a water line also. It can be found in 160 and 200 lb. The only joints would be at either end. That's the beauty of Poly Pipe.
Speedbump is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:10 AM  
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Lafe Arkansas, Arkansas
Posts: 165

First thing to do is check with the Plumbing inspectors office. Being in california means that earthquakes are possible. This would not be the place for ridgid piping underground. PVC will hold the pressure, but not movement. In Ohio, we required soft copper (1") from the curb stop to the meter. I agree with the Poly lines due to only having two joints.
if you have never made a mistake, you probably haven't done much.
majakdragon is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
"Dead" fixture after cutting main breaker superjedi Electrical and Wiring 2 10-07-2009 01:50 PM
Leak at main water line feeding 4 units Mr.Jones Plumbing Forum 3 04-15-2009 01:05 PM
"Giant" hot water tank stoped working Xilbus Plumbing Forum 3 04-30-2008 06:48 AM
bath sink hot water supply line leak jmjoseph General Home Improvement Discussion 2 04-23-2007 09:21 AM
Water Supply Line and Building Code Carcosa Plumbing Forum 3 01-20-2007 11:18 AM