DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Wrong Size Cabinet Pulls - Can Someone Help?

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-06-2009, 07:13 PM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Cary, NC
Posts: 9
Default Wrong Size Cabinet Pulls - Can Someone Help?

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to update our kitchen, including refinishing our wooden cabinets. It was all built in 1987 and looks run down. I also tried to replace the cabinet pulls, but I can't find anything like them in the same size.

Here's what they look like:

As you can see, these cabinet pulls are 2.5" from center to center. Nearly all of the replacement cabinet pulls I've seen are 3" or 76 mm. I found a few cabinet pulls at online stores that are 64 mm, but they don't even look close to the ones we have.

I need a total of 26 matching pulls for this job.

I tried polishing one of them, but the antique brass finish is nearly worn off. The remaining finish looks like old pot metal - not very good, whether shiny or dull!

I've looked in all of the cabinets to see if I can find a brand name. The only one that has a brand is a corner turnstile cabinet that has a placard inside for "Amerock revolving door hardware". I checked with Amerock, and they don't have any 2.5" pulls like these now.

Has anyone else found a good solution for this problem? I've tried a number of local stores, and they all seem disbelieving that there are pulls that aren't 3 inches center to center. I'm willing to bet our whole neighborhood has these - Pulte built about 200 homes in this area when they made ours. I'm thinking they must have been fairly common back then.

Thanks for any pointers,

Scott C.

Scott C. in Cary, NC USA

ScottCh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:50 PM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4

I see two simple solutions that would look fairly nice - use two single new pulls - one for each hole.


Just cover the existing 2 1/2" holes with a 3" decorative backplate and use with new 3" pulls. A backplate is a decorative plate that lays flat against the drawer or door panel and will cover any existing holes. You can find these at any Home supply store.

Last - Google this text:

2.5" center to center drawer pulls

I found 3 sites right might find others
I found this one, second on a Google searchwith the text above, to have several nice pulls for doors and drawers:
2.5 Inch Drawer Pulls & 2.5" Handles | Kitchen Cabinet Hardware

Good Luck
SendEveryone is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
Wrong Size Cabinet Pulls ScottCh Decorating and Design 1 02-25-2010 12:17 PM
NEW Hidden Storage Cabinet (Ideal for use as a Medicine Cabinet) Hyde325 General Home Improvement Discussion 6 10-22-2009 10:08 AM
Need some Cabinet advice...I'm in Cabinet Hell The Remnant General Home Improvement Discussion 4 07-01-2009 05:39 PM
Jim was right, I was wrong. Nestor_Kelebay Flooring 1 05-06-2009 01:05 PM