What are the best ways to clean leather?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superpack

Reaction score
What are the best ways to clean leather? And what products are the best for cleaning leather sofas and chairs? It's hard to know when to clean too since the dirt doesn't show up as much on darker leather. Thanks for reply.

Regards,

Some of the best leather cleaners/conditioners out there are likely available of your local feed store (for live stock). Yellow book will be able to find something for you. There is a variety of things out there and your feed store will likely have them all for cheaper than you can find commercial car/couch cleaners. There are leather cleaners, conditioners, restorers etc. Some of your options are Lexol, Saddle Soap etc. Some research will help you find out what you need for your leather but the best method no matter what you choose is to do it all in moderation as leather products tend to be oily and over use will leave the leather oily as well. There are small name brands and big name brands (leather new). The most expensive brands will likely be from saddle makers themselves (Stubben) which the feed store probably wont have. But you can get a 1/2 gallon (128 fl oz) of leather new for about $20 on ebay.

Last edited:
Hey Superpack
I suggest you to completely dry leather before applying conditioner then use Lexol Leather Cleaner.Its easy to use, cleans well and inexpensive. I also use it.

Thanks

Regards
Olivia

Use a good class of foam leather cleaner or saddle soap. Many leather cleaners require that the soap just be buffed into the leather to complete the cleaning process. Apply a quality leather protector after the cleaning process. Keep your leather out of direct sunlight, which will cause leather to crack and fade. Wipe over your leather with a damp cloth regularly.

What you need is good quality water based leather cleaner. Light soapy water mix will be ideal. Do not use oils, waxes or silicons.

Try to use a mild soap. Saddle soap is too harsh for most leader products.

Do not spray the cleaner directly onto the leather. Instead, dampen a white terry cloth towel with the cleaning solution. Apply to the seats using an overlapping, circular motion.apply the conditioner with a clean terry cloth or microfiber towel; do not pour or spray conditioner directly onto the leather.

Thanks for your great post.If you have a steam cleaner it would do the job perfectly.I like the steam cleaner as you don`t have to use chemicals. If not buy some leather shampoo. It should do the trick.Best of Luck :)

I have leather furniture and I just use a hot damp rag to wipe it down. Just hot water no soap or anything. Ring it out really well and wipe it down. If you wanna spend tons of cash on special leather\vinal cleaners go right ahead. You can find them online. But the damp rag has never let me down..

Thanks for sharing..

Sofasinstock.co.uk - We have a huge selection of luxurious sofas, leather sofa to choose from in a selection of gorgeous, on-trend colours.

I've used saddle soap on leather upholstry on a number of occasions. I would stay away from any products that are not specifically designed for leather, as they can cause premature wear and/or cracking. Look for a good "leather conditioner" - it will most likely involve at least two steps (cleaning and then conditioning).

You can use Leather Cleaners & Leather Conditioners, Leather Ink & Stain Removal, Leather Dyes & Leather Restoration for leather cleaning. Lexol Leather Cleaner is the best for leather cleaning. Its pH balance match with pH of leather. This preserves the leather's strength, durability and appearance.

Cleaning leather yourself is thought to be risky. Traditional leather cleaners are very testy and are prone to causing more damage than good. It is often advised to test the cleaner on a small non-noticeable spot before cleaning the affected area of leather. This is because the chemical compounds in leather cleaner can discolor, remove color, or otherwise damage your leather product. Home-made remedies include using windex, nail polish remover, hair spray and toothpaste. These methods don’t usually work that well and I don’t think I would want to spray windex on my couch.

One handy bit of tip for removing spots from leather is to dip a cotton swab into rubbing alcohol and rub the spot. This can work for removing ink spots also. If this doesn’t work, you can use non-oily cuticle remover.

flooded basement cleanup long island

Last edited:
Instructions for Care and Cleaning

1. Dust your chair once a week with a soft, dry cloth.

2. Vacuum the chair at least once a month. Use a hose attachment to clean in crevices and hard-to-reach areas.

3.Contain spills quickly. Blot liquid spills with a clean towel. Buff the area dry with a separate cloth.

4.Keep use of water and soaps to a minimum. Leather resists stains, so a clean, dry cloth or slightly damp cloth will take care of most spots and spills. Avoid soaps, polishes and cleaning products, especially those containing solvents. If a cleaner is absolutely necessary, choose one specifically designed for leather.

5.Treat the leather a few times each year with a leather conditioner such as Leather CPR or Lexol. Some conditioners can leave a residue that attracts dust, so shop carefully and consult the chair manufacturer for recommended products, if necessary.

Stain Removal

6.Blot grease stains with a soft cloth.

7.Use a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol to tackle ink stains.

8.For dark stains on light-colored leather, mix equal parts lemon juice and tartar sauce. Apply the solution directly to the stains with a damp cloth. Wipe away the residue and pat the area dry.

Hope this would be useful.

Home improvements & Cleaning tools

Back