DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > removing/replacing 2x4 in bathroom/laundry

Old 01-08-2010, 10:02 PM  
shan2themax

Send a message via AIM to shan2themax Send a message via Yahoo to shan2themax
Default removing/replacing 2x4 in bathroom/laundry

In my laundry room, I removed some 'soft' drywall. Behind this I found a rotten 2x4. My question is this..... my laundry room and full bathroom connect. Is there a way that I can replace this 2x4 (it is a bottom plate) without having to tear out the wall for the bathroom? there is no other rot and no active leak, so it has been that way for a long time and about a 24 in section of it is basically gone.. and there is no wood under this as the bathtub sits right in front of it..... I would upload a picture but I cant find the charger for my camera....

Also, I need to put support under this part of the house so that I can turn my w/d around and have them sitting along the same said wall, but they are front loaders so I dont want to put them there without support....

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2010, 08:06 PM  
GBR

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 9

"and about a 24 in section of it is basically gone.. and there is no wood under this as the bathtub sits right in front of it...." --------------------- no need to pull the tub, just cut the drywall nails in the sole plate and to the floor. Add a new piece. Cut out the rotten PART of the stud, sister a new stud NEXT to it. Won't mess up the bathroom side at all, if you are careful. Use screws in stud/stud and nails in stud/plates.Add blocking same thickness as floor joists underneath for support. Check for rotten joists.

Be safe, Gary

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply