DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > General Discussion > General Chit-Chat > Any Body Else?

Old 01-12-2010, 08:01 AM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 494 Times on 411 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Default Any Body Else?

Ready for spring. The older I get, the more I really don't like cold weather. We lived in Florida back in the 80's for a couple years and moved back north cause we weren't old enough to live down there. Well I'm starting to re-think my criteria for living in the sunshine state. All my projects that i have planned are outside this year and I really need some sunshine and warmer temps to get started. I just don't understand how the people way up yonder cope with the 39 minutes of summer you seem to get...

So who's keeping warm and what are your winter projects?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2010, 11:10 AM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldog/newtrick View Post
The older I get, the more I really don't like cold weather.
same here

Quote:
I just don't understand how the people way up yonder cope with the 39 minutes of summer you seem to get...
Does "way up yonder" include north of the 49th parallel? We watch American football games on TV. Seeing someone walking around in a short sleeved shirt in January reminds us of August up here. And in August we like to watch Alpine skiing from Europe. Reminds us of January.

Quote:
So who's keeping warm and what are your winter projects?
Replacing water shut off valves in bathrooms and kitchens. Plan to replace two more bathroom shut off valves with Nibco S-211-Y globe valves today.

Nibco S-211-Y have:
- all bronze construction. No brass at all. Bronze, being a mixture of copper and tin is much more corrosion resistant than brass, which is a mixture of copper and zinc. Zinc is a highly chemically reactive metal.
- TEFLON washers. Nitrile rubber will eventually start to rot with continuous exposure to water, requiring the replacement of the washer with a new one. Teflon is unaffected by water.
- A full GRAPHITE packing, and not just a packing gland. That means the packing can be replaced while the valve is in service. Graphite is the best packing material because it's a natural lubricant. (Post again if you want to know why graphite is a natural lubricant.)
- A stainless steel bibb screw. Valve manufacturers use brass screws to hold the washer and pretend not to know that the brass will corrode. For the few pennies more that a stainless steel screw would cost....
- Parts are available. I buy two spare teflon disks and a spare graphite packing for each Nibco S-211-Y I install. I pay $2.50 for each teflon disk and $1.25 for each graphite packing.
If I could install ball valves instead, I would. But if anyone can suggest a better water shut off valve in a globe or gate valve format, then I'm all ears. (And, no doubt, someone is gonna read this post and suggest I use ball valves, to which I'd say... go back to sleep.)

Old 01-12-2010, 12:48 PM  
inspectorD
Housebroken
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Liked 125 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Default well

Why don't you use...ballvalves??

I like the new look winter gives to the landscape, guess growin up in New England does that to a fella. I like my 5 seasons. Whoever wrote the seasons missed MUD ...between thaw and spring.
I have 80 acres up here...what am I not doing would be easier.

Snowmobile, Quaddin, sledding with my kids, cutting 20 cords wood per season, running my homemade 20' sawmill. Plowin snow....those are winter projects...almost all outdoors.
Business planning, Inspections, providing training, Lions club, and computer stuff are all my inside projects.
We live out in the woods, not many folks are differnt from me around here, self sufficient style.

Florida..is best left to the citrus fruits.

Just My
Made in the

Old 01-12-2010, 01:13 PM  
TxBuilder
HRT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

It's 63 degrees where I'm at. Feels like spring.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:13 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBuilder View Post
It's 63 degrees where I'm at. Feels like spring.
30 here today.

Tigers money couldnt get me back to Fl. Now, his wife...maybe.

Tx, how can you stand it.

Old 01-13-2010, 09:05 AM  
TxBuilder

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Easily. I'm going to clean out the garage today and I didn't have to run the heater at all last night. I love Texas sometimes.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:22 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Believe it or not, it's going up to +5 degrees Celsius here today. That supposedly sets a new record high for a January 13th in Winnipeg. That's 41 degrees American.

Old 01-13-2010, 01:36 PM  
TxBuilder

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I feel like an idiot using Fahrenheit but what are you going to do? Congrats on your record high! Next week you guys mite be able to go outside.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:07 PM  
oldognewtrick
HRT_MODERATOR.png

Nestor, I thought that celsius was for the countries that drove on the left side of the hwy...what side of the road do you drive on any way?

Old 01-13-2010, 11:40 PM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oldog/Newtrick:

Our cars are just like US cars, and our highways are just the same as well, although our speed limits are considerably lower.

What happened is about 30 years ago, Canada decided it was gonna go metric, but our largest trading partner (the USA) stayed with imperial units of measurement (pounds, inches, Fahrenheit). And, since a lot of the stuff we buy here is produced in the US, but is supposed to be labeled in metric, we have a mixture of imperial and metric measurements that we deal with. We buy orange juice (for example) by the 1.18 liter (one quart) container. And, the machinery to make lots of the products we buy was designed to produce those goods in imperial sizes, but the labels on those goods are in metric. So, in Canada, you don't buy a pound of butter. You buy 454 grams of butter, which weighs one pound.

It's a mixture of hard metric and soft metric conversion. Our speed limits are either 50 or 60 kilometers per hour (or 30 or 36 miles per hour) in the city or 100 to 110 (60 to 66 miles per hour) on the highway, which is a "hard" metric conversion because the amount (speed in this case) has actually changed. But we buy things like antifreeze and engine oil in 3.8 liter jugs (which is a Canadian gallon), and that's considered a "soft" metric conversion. That means the amount (volume in this case) hasn't changed, it's just quoted in metric units instead of imperial units. We have a mixture of hard and soft metric conversions. Some things have change to metric, and some things haven't changed, but are only expressed in metric units.

But, our cars are just the same as yours, and we drive on the right side of the road, just like you do in the US. (But, if you ever take a drive up to Canada, you might want to remember that:

1. a kilometer is about 6/10 of a mile, so if you multiply the number on the speed limit sign (in kilometers per hour) by 0.6, you get miles per hour. So 100 km/hr is 60 mph.

2. there are about 4 liters in a gallon. Or, a liter is about the same as a quart.

3. one psi is about 7 kilopascals. Maybe just inflate your tires so they look properly inflated, and

4. a kilogram is about 2.2 pounds.)

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 01-13-2010 at 11:55 PM.

Quick Reply