Hobbies other than home repair.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Square Eye

Reaction score
I have many interests;
fishing
camping
Jeeping
boating and canoeing
working on a massive old tools collection
woodworking
new and innovative ways to ruin my kids
a little hunting (ducks)
knives
old books about building and construction standards
photography
and a CD colection of mostly '80s rock and some country, classical and whatever else peaks my interest at any given time.
Hiking when someone else wants to go. I just don't go alone.

What else do you do?

I hit my thumb with a hammer sometimes
mow the lawn
look for things I have lost
I also like to contribute to my childrens future need for therapy.
loaf

Jeeps, home brewing beer mainly Weizens, building AK variants, boating, river tubing, camping, fishing, fish and aquariums .... Too many hobbies not enough time.

Grandsons, Golf, Woodworking. Not enough time for any of them because of the day job runs into too many nights.

Kids...scouts...wife jobs...wait those are not hobbies!!!:D

Kayaking, fishing...anywhere...Stock car racing for 12 years, ended last year...now I have you folks...depressing aint it.:p

Snowmobiling, summer camping, winter camping.....woodworking used to be fun, now it's just a job.

Signed
Burnt out woodworker :D

I love that name - Square Eye for the Tool Guy. Very cool! I'm a musician myself. Or, at least, I call myself a musician. I'm not sure anyone else would agree.

Well, I've got an entry level Kimball baby grand piano in the corner of my living room. It holds up several pictures and collects tons of dust. I took lessons when I was a kid, now I just pittle with it and look at it. It's not like a bicycle for me, I'm not a player, the lessons are all but lost in the muck that my mind has become. I believe that I could build another piano before I could learn to play one now.

What is your plan with the ol piano?

We just got rid of the one we had for 5 years, boy's were not interested except to play chopsticks for ever!:p

We collected...dust ,toys, model trains, then everything that seamed to make it into the room.I guessed it would do better somewhere else, and be worth more .

I just found my new hobby for the summer. Fill the kiddie pool with water and soak. Man is it a scorcher today.

Off to the pool......:rolleyes:

Maybe someday I'll get so old, I'll have to retire.
Then I'll start getting serious again.
IF arthritis hasn't gotten to my hands.
I can't sit still long enough to listen to myself slaughtering the work of songwriters everywhere.

Square Eye is not kidding about building a piano. A young couple had an old upright they had refinished and were really proud of. When they brought it to their home (60mile trip) it rode fine until they pulled off the freeway and made a left hand turn. Then it rolled over the side of their pickup and burst into a zillion pieces. I allowed them $50 off their bill for the work we were doing and Square Eye put 'er all back together and started picking out some tunes on it!
Glenn

Then I turned legal driving age,
and this is why I forgot the piano;

72 Dodge Charger, Shelly.jpg

72 Dodge Charger f.jpg

72 Dodge Charger r.jpg

That was a '72 Dodge Charger with a 440 4bbl, L-60-15s rear, G-70-15s front, new paint and my old flame Shelly.

Shelly, the car, all gone,, not forgotten:)

JUST A GOOD OLE BOY.....:D

My first ride was my ol man's 70 chevelle....he sold it that year I turned 17.....hmmm... I wonder why........:rolleyes:

Between work and trying to get the old house to decent living standards I don't have much time for hobbies. I used to camp hunt and fish but I forgot what its like.:( I spend what little free time I have wrenching on my fords and participating in my favorite ford truck forum. I am presently working on putting a 78 e-150 I got for 200 bucks on the road. Its got a 460 and c-6 so due to gas prices it wont be a daily driver. I think it will be great for hauling materials and towing though. I also tend to my animals for relaxation. I got a goat,a rooster, four mallard ducks and five hens about ready to start laying.

Bringing this thread back to life. Always interesting to see everyone's hobbies.

I married a movie nut so I spend a lot of time before the big screen. We also have Janie's sister living with us, 7 grandchildren and 3 great-grandchildren. We don't have to look far for something to keep us busy. I love to entertain the children though; I like being a friend to them and watching their faces light up when we "ring their bell".
I wold like to adopt one or two children, Janie being a Registered Nurse and me a Registered Master Plumber, our children would have pedigree papers. Wouldn't that be fun? I raised 2 children who are the apple of my eye and I miss them so much but they are living their lives now and I try not to nose into their activities too much (its a challenge though). Janie raised one girl from a previous marriage and she keeps something stiring all the time; we just shake our heads and say "Go Tammy"!
Glenn

I spent a few years of my life "redoing" a 1972 Airstream travel trailer... oddly enough, I am now living in it while renovating my bungalow. I seem to have expensive hobbies. My other hobby is my 1992 Miata. Well, no longer expensive now that all things are fixed, and at 32 mpg, who can argue with that!

Check them out if you like!

http://www.six55.com/AS/ Airstream
http://www.six55.com/miata/ Miata
http://www.six55.com/house/ Bungalow

That's awesome Streamin1972, you're on the path my hubby and I are aiming for :) I dream of the day an airstream is my hobby, and I dream of living in it while we build our fantasized earth home on our fantasized 50 acres!
Lucky for me, my hobby is my job. Our bungalow is my baby, and there are so many things to learn from it, I can't recall the last time I was bored. We also have 4 dogs, and they keep life fun and interesting. Yes, four dogs, and I swear I've never gone looking for a pet, they all seem to find their way to me ;) In addition to the home repairs and dog chasing, I enjoy my husband's hobby of cooking, I get a real kick out of salvaging what others consider junk and I love exploring alternative building methods and health practices--which often lead me to learning the old-fashioned way of life is far superior to technological developments!

Boy it's good to bring up some of the old stuff.

My latest hobby is crossing my oldest into the Boy scouts from webloes.
The other stuff is not hobbies, just wood working.
What are you all doing?;)

This is perfect for those that don't post much.:)

tennis, fishing, disk golf, pool. i grew up always tinkering with cars, still have a v8 rx7 project car that will probably never get finished at the rate i'm going. i'm one of those people that could easily have 10 cars and still want more. eventually graduated to sportbikes and threw WAY too much money at roadracing until just recently when i bought my house. now i have a new money pit. one that probably won't kill me. :)

38873300ag8.jpg

Old threads...what a fun project I'm doin now.
Buildin my youngest a Caboose shed....so we have somewhere to put our outdoor cookstove.
Winter is on the way....now where did I put those train tracks??

Latest posts

Back