Garage remodel floor question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dexterdog

Reaction score
We are planning on starting a garage remodel in the spring and thinking about how to do the floor. We are considering laying 2 x 4's, 16 inches a part on top of some low cinder blocks and putting insulation between all them. The beams would be connected to the sides of the garage so there would be no movement. Then on top of that putting 1 inch plywood. Is this something that would be sturdy enough for a floor?

On top goes a car or truck?
Underneath the blocks is clay, sand, other?

"
The 2006 edition of the IRC states the following concerning floors in garages:
R309.3 Floor Surface
Garage floor surfaces shall be of approved, non-combustible material.
"

This is sort of an indoor residential floor construction. Residential loads are about 50 pounds/sq. ft. [PSF].
A tire that holds up 800# and has a footprint of 25 sq. in. is sort of a concentrated load @ 32 PSI which equals 4600 PSF.

Sounds like a bad idea for a garage floor.

Last edited:
Sorry, I should have made this a little more clear. This is for a garage renovation into a family room, so it will be just furniture, TV, etc. The current garage floor is the driveway tar. Not sure what type of base is inderneath the tar.

Tar may be only for outdoor use; it may give off toxic volatile compounds. I'd first strip the tar.

You need to know the foundation substrate/soil type.

Never heard of any petroleum based paving product used for out doors being suitable for indoor use.:) Better check with your local "building department" first and see if they have the wisdom to know the answer.:)

I found one indoor tennis court using an asphalt surface in NJ but the Air Changes per Hour in that large building may be way in excess of residential ACHs.

Last edited:
Back