DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > basement ceiling

Old 03-28-2010, 10:31 AM  
mgoblue24

Default basement ceiling

So I want to get a drop ceiling look, without using a traditional drop ceiling (I don't want to lose a height of my ceiling). I have this stuff called ceiling link that looks pretty interesting. Has anyone used this product before, used anything similar to it. Any suggestions on other product materials that may give the same look without using ceiling height?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 03:35 PM  
Quattro
Massive Tool Belt

I have a bunch of Ceiling Link waiting to be installed in my basement. Looks good. Just need to finish the walls before putting it up.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:19 PM  
Cork-Guy
Cork Flooring Pros

I have a neighbor who installed this type of ceiling about a year ago; I think it looks nice, but beyond that I don't really have a personally opinion on the product. What is the max height in your basement?

[B][URL="http://www.corkflooringpros.com"]Cork Flooring[/URL][/B] - [B][URL="http://www.ventless-fireplace.org"]Ventless Fireplace[/URL][/B]

Old 03-30-2010, 07:37 PM  
mgoblue24

Quattro - Could you let me know how it installs, and any advice or tips your figured out when installing. You seem to be closer to installing before I am.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:41 PM  
Quattro
Massive Tool Belt

Will do. Hope to have it done before winter! :-)

Old 04-02-2010, 01:13 PM  
handyguys

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

have you considered drywall? It looks great and is much cheaper. yeah, you need to consider access panels to shut-off valves and such. You cant hide electrical junction boxes and any future rewiring and plumbing for upstairs is more difficult. For future access just plan ahead and move or eliminate jboxes and relocate shut-off valves to unfinished space or put in access panels.

We did a series of shows on basement finishing here
Basement Finishing Series
good luck and post some pictures.

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

Old 04-02-2010, 09:19 PM  
Quattro
Massive Tool Belt

Is it really "much" cheaper? Materials wise, yes...but the labor of taping, mudding, sanding, priming and painting probably brings it closer. I agree it does look better though.

I did not want to give up easy access to the utilities in the ceiling, and with the direct-mount tracks, you only lose 1" of headroom. With the edge-cut 2x2 foot panels, a nice look can be achieved.

Quick Reply