DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Shower grout sealing?

Old 06-09-2010, 11:07 AM  
fry

Default Shower grout sealing?

Hi everybody.

We recently had our shower remodeled. I'm not completely thrilled with the results but what's done is done.

The guy who built the shower didn't seal any of the grout. All the grout between the tiles is unsealed as is the grout on the floor between the stones.

My question is: should I seal all of this grout between the ceramic tile and between all the rocks on the floor?

If I should seal it is there any specific brand or type of sealant I should pick up?

I've never sealed grout in my life. I'm assuming it's not horribly difficult to do.

Thanks a lot!

Pic of shower:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2010, 11:59 AM  
handyguys

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

You can just go to the home center, in the tile section, and get grout sealer and follow the instructions on the bottle. You may want to do 3 or 4 applications on the floor. You may also see sealer that is for grout, porous tiles, stone, etc. That would be a good choice on your floor. It will darken the pebbles some but would make them easier to clean.

Again - Follow the directions. The key thing is making sure everything is dry and waiting the recommended time between coats and the recommended time before usage of the shower.

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

Old 06-09-2010, 12:00 PM  
handyguys

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

also, the inside corners should have been caulked, not grouted. I cant tell from the pictures. The caulk does not need to be sealed.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:05 PM  
fry

Thank you very much for your input, handyguys.

So you're saying I should even grout the stones on the floor?

Old 06-09-2010, 02:24 PM  
handyguys

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The stones on the floor are already grouted (the stuff between the stones is grout).

I would seal the stones AND the grout.

This product is very highly regarded by my tile friends. I havent had a need to use it yet but if I ever need a sealer its what I'm likely going with.
Amazon.com: StoneTech BPSS12-32 BulletProof Stone Sealer, 1-Quart: Home Improvement <<link to Amazon

Old 06-09-2010, 02:41 PM  
fry

You're right, of course. I said grout instead of seal.

Still, I wasn't aware that the stones needing sealing as well! I'm learning a lot from this little thread.

Thanks again. I'll check out that product.

Regards.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:08 PM  
handyguys

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

well, the stones may, or may not, actually need sealed. It depends how they were made. If they are natural the yes, definitely, they should be sealed. If they are ceramic or porcelain tiles that look like stone then no, only the grout. Actually, same thing with the walls. That looks like porcelain or ceramic tile, BUT, if its slate or granite or similar it should be sealed too. The border inlay may have some stone products that may need to be sealed too.

BTW - I think the shower looks great! Maybe a clear glass door would finish it off nicely, allow lots of light in, and allow you to admire the tile job (or your spouse) from the room

Old 06-09-2010, 03:25 PM  
fry

handyguys,

As a matter of fact we're having a frameless door installed in just a few days.

You were right about both the stones and the tile. The tile is ceramic and the stones are natural.

I ordered that product on amazon about two minutes after reading your suggestion. The reviews there seemed to support what you said -- it appears people really believe in the product.

I suppose I'll follow the instructions to the best of my ability. I guess I'll just be slathering this stuff all over the floor. I hope it doesn't make it slippery or anything.

Thanks again for your help. I'm really clueless with most of this stuff. If it weren't for people like you I'd be utterly lost.

Old 06-09-2010, 03:27 PM  
fry

And wow! I didn't even think of sealing the border inlay.

That's all natural rock.

Great tips!

Old 06-09-2010, 03:34 PM  
handyguys

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Good luck, feel free to drop me a line any time with home improvement questions. The sealer may make the stones look a little darker, sort of how they look when wet. They wont be any more slippery than they are now. If you have an extra stone you may want to just try it on that first to be positive you will be okay with the result. The stuff should soak in, its not like a varnish or anything. You know you are sealed when no more will soak in.

Quick Reply