DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > updating kitchen

Old 06-17-2010, 09:08 AM  
hotiso

Default updating kitchen

Ok so this is my first real project that I would like to see a major turn around in. This place I moved to is a total hack job and didnt find out thats how the landlord would be until I was here. Bad situation I know, but Im looking to move forward and enjoy this place.

Keeping cost in mind because Im not even owning this place and will probably be here for 2 years min. I would like to change out the cabinets,counter tops, replace that faux brick wall backing, make more counter room, and do hardwood laminate flooring.

I can get the hardwood laminate flooring, and counter tops VERY VERY cheap so the price for those isnt an issue. After viewing other posts here, I decided to stay away from a black counter top (Its going to be laminate just to be cost efficient) and go with a more sand like mixed color.

I need some ideas though. This place is a total mess. You can see the landlord painted ALL my floors that ugly orange color. I have no idea why. Its the UGLIEST color Ive seen. Its getting changed to something else, Im thinking a dark dark dark brown. Everything in this place is old so staining this wood wouldnt look nice.

Anyways here are the pictures. Any inputs appreciated

Notice the angle of the wall that the cabinets have to work with. Im a bit confused on my options here.

The only thing Ive put on is window set.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2010, 03:15 PM  
handyguys

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Send a message via Skype™ to handyguys

Since you are renting you dont want to go toooo deep into this. You cant really change the layout as a renter.

I was reading on another forum about people pitching older, well made cabinets. Maybe thats what you have. If they are solid perhaps you could consider re-facing them or just painting them. Do your laminate floor and a new countertop and I think you will make a vast improvement. Yeah, dont do black. Its a dark galley kicthen, you need as much light as possible. White cabs, a maple floor, sand colored counter would be great I think.

Orange floors in the adjacent space? Ugh. perhaps some carpet?

The Handyguys Podcast [url]http://www.handyguyspodcast.com[/url]

Old 07-14-2010, 07:21 AM  
anna_starr82

Hi Hotiso,

I understand your will to change some things in there, especially that horrendous orange floor but keep in mind that you are renting.I would ask the owner to lower the rent if you are going to do that much work.Good luck to you anyway, hope it all works out.
Anna

Old 07-15-2010, 12:19 AM  
Nestor_Kelebay
Emperor Penguin

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hotiso:

Have you considered the alternative of just saving your money until you buy your own house, and then investing that money in your own property to increase your own net worth?

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 07-15-2010 at 12:42 AM.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:53 PM  
MrFixitNJcom
www.MrFixItNJ.com

If I were you I will save the money for my own house .

Quick Reply