This is my first post although I've been talking a lot about our project on my blog site for over a month now.
We started our project more than 3 years ago. We stumbled upon a 1820ish log house that was going to be burned (!)to make way for a road expansion. Long story short, we were able to buy the house for $500.00 but the caveat was we had to have it removed in 3 days. July in Southwest Virginia can be pretty miserable, hot and humid. We quickly assembled a team of "good ol' boys", one of which had access to a boom truck. We started removing the clapboard siding and the interior siding to expose the logs. The logs were mostly oak and poplar. We numbered each log and started out tearing it down. Thanks to the friends with a full sized flatbead truck and the boom truck, we were able to get the house down in a day and half. The next day we were able to get the house back up in a temporary location, until we decided what we were going to do with it.
Here's a link to the blog if you'd like to see the resurrection process. (I hope the link works, I apologize if you have to cut and paste). As I update the blog, I'll let post here as well.
Old Log Cabin Revival
We're not new to this process, we did this 20 years ago. Pictures of past and current projects on the blog. If you've been through the log house revival process, I'd be very interested to hear your comments, experiences and suggestions. I look forward to hearing from you.