Adding Dimmers- It's warm and how to determine if I have low voltage lights

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cameoway

Reaction score
Hi,
First time poster.

I recently moved into a new home and I'm trying to add dimmers to a few lights and I have no details (Brand/Model) about the lights.

Question 1- A hot dimmer switch
I have replaced a switch with a Lutron dimmer that controls two sets of track lights. It works (on/off/dims) but it's quite warm/hot to the touch. This has never happened with any dimmer I've in the past in the past so it makes me nervous. Could the problem be that they're low voltage or perhaps to high of wattage for the switch? Any suggestions.

Question 2- Adding other dimmers
We have more track lights in the bedroom and I want to control with a dimmer. I'm concerned that I'll have a similar problem or perhaps I'll fry the lights or the house if I install a bad dimmer switch. How do I figure out if they're the lights are 'dimmable' and if so, what the proper dimmer switch would be? Again, I can't figure out the make or model so I'm sort of at a loss.

Thanks!
TL

Last edited:
1) Could be either one, but more likely too much wattage for the dimmer.

2) Can you post a picture of the lights? Maybe we can identify them.
You can also take one down and look at the label. If this house is new then the sticker will surely still be legible.

Back