DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Electrical and Wiring > How do you change swithched outlets and continue power to swithch box

Old 08-04-2010, 04:41 PM  
dastaljo

Default How do you change swithched outlets and continue power to swithch box

Hi there, I have three outlets that have the top switched and the bottom constant. The switched outlets are controlled by a single pole switch that is part of a 3 gang box. I have Lutron Radio Ra2 throughout the house and would like to take the power from the switch and use it to power a 6 button keypad. My issue is this. There is just a 2 wire with ground going to the switch ocation. So, if I hook up the 3 wires from the wall box to the corresponding wires on the keypad...The keypad lights up and can be used to send information for scenes, but, the switched part of the outlets will not have power. In contrast. If I twist together the black and white in the box where the switch is...the outlets work but now I cannot hook up my keypad. This is very frustrating and considering that the keypad was $400. I really need to make this work. Please help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2010, 08:26 AM  
JoeD
Contractor

Liked 108 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You must change the cable. It needs to be a three wire cable. The only other solution is to pull a new power feed into the box.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:42 AM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 116 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 65

The 2 wires going to the switch location are switch legs. On is a source of power and the other leads to the hot on the top of the outlet. Your most likely looking at one black and one white but the white is not a neutral leg, it's a hot switch leg.
Therefore, you can not use the wires leading to the switch as a circuit.
To make the outlets constant power you can either replace the outlets or wire the hot and neutral with a jumper wire from the bottom lugs to the top lugs. If you look closely at the outlet and compare that to a new outlet you will notice that the tab that connects the top and bottom lugs have been removed.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:32 PM  
dastaljo

OK, I get that I am going to have to replace the outlets or use jumpers. But in that case the B, W, G that are then going from the last outlet before it goes on to the switch location should somehow be able to have Hot Neutral and ground... Shouldn't it?

Last edited by dastaljo; 08-06-2010 at 03:36 PM.

Old 08-06-2010, 05:34 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 116 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 65

This all depends on how the outlets are wired. If the top and bottoms of the outlet are the same circuit then it is possible to achieve with some rewiring. If they are a different circuit then you won't have a neutral to use in the switch box, especially if the two hots are not from adjacent breakers. If you can make that determination with a little research, and maybe post a diagram, then we could proceed with greater confidence.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:41 AM  
JoeD
Contractor

If you want the receptacles to remain switched then you must change the cable. If you can live with the receptacles being always hot then you can simply rewire the last receptacle to povide power feed to the Lutron.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:26 AM  
budro

switched receptacles have the tab broken between the two hot terminals. change the switched plugs and you have hot everywhere. go back and bypass the switch and your fixed up.

Old 08-15-2010, 09:25 PM  
JoeD
Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by budro View Post
switched receptacles have the tab broken between the two hot terminals. change the switched plugs and you have hot everywhere. go back and bypass the switch and your fixed up.
Switched receptacle only have the tab broken if they are half switched.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:03 AM  
budro

joe d, go back and read his first sentence.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:54 AM  
JoeD
Contractor

Quote:
Quote:
Switched receptacle only have the tab broken if they are half switched.
Quote:
joe d, go back and read his first sentence.
He is also not having a problem with the switching. The only problem is the lack of a neutral in the switch box.
I stand by my answer that only half switched receptalces have the tab broken. There are many situations where the entire receptacle is switched.

Quick Reply