Hey Neal ... you bet. I didn't give you every step I followed . . . In my case, there was a slope to the downstairs celing that allowed the water to run out of the ceiling box to the 1st floor. I cut an access hatch in the closet adjoinging the valve side of the shower through a closet. Close inspection revealed the course of the water while the shower was running. I made the repairs to the shower wall tile and rechecked for leaks. There were none.
I ran a fan to dry out the backside, then sprayed for mildew. No more leaks, so I installed an access door for future plumbing repairs and called it job done.