DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Walls and Ceilings > Help with unknown wall type and unknown paint type

Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 07:08 PM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NY
Posts: 1
Default Help with unknown wall type and unknown paint type

Hi there. I am fixing up a closet in my "old house".

I have a closet that has masonry or drywall walls (thinking it is drywall). I applied Citrustrip gel (Citristrip Safer Paint & Varnish Stripping Gel - Qt. - QCG73801T at The Home Depot) I bought from Home depot and used up an entire quart. After much scraping, there is still a yellow residue from underneath the paint. I think it might be another layer of enamel paint but I am unsure. Also, there is cracking of the wall and a hole as well.

I have a large container of "Sheetrock all purpose joint compound" which I was intending to use to fill in the hole and cracks. Since I am unsure as to whether it is indeed drywall/sheetrock I could use some assistance.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

needtofixwall is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 06:22 PM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: hudson, wisconsin
Posts: 12
Default Closet help

Hello,From your pictures I determined you have plaster walls. Plaster is different from sheetrock as it is much harder. The cracks are common to old plaster and are fixed by first taping them with fiber mesh tape,then coated with either durabond setting compound or sheetrock compound like say a plus3 brand or proform lite blue. Durabond comes in powder form and is mixed with water to a peanut butter consistency or til is somewhat easy to apply.After two coats sand smooth with 120 grit sandpaper or a sanding sponge. As for the hole first fill with compound then tape over it then coat it again. Oh before I forget durabond comes in different setting times. I suggest 90 minute or 210 minute.
taperguy71 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:08 AM  
Junior Member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: hudson, wisconsin
Posts: 12

Hello again, I discussed your problem to a plsterer coworker and another suggestion is: Take an old style can opener with the point end scratch a groovove in the cracks, and then fill with drywall comound.Hope this makes it easier for you.
taperguy71 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter DIY Home Repair Forum Replies Last Post
which type of cornerbead? mikey9626 Walls and Ceilings 11 09-17-2010 05:38 PM
Unknown kitchen drawer hardware AlexBeard Carpentry and Woodworking 11 09-05-2010 10:41 AM
is there a name for this type of wall design? dlappjr Decorating and Design 3 04-23-2010 06:20 PM
What type of saw blade? TaskBoy Tools 4 12-18-2008 06:22 PM

Newest Threads