vent heat from family room to second floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinitus

Reaction score
I have a pellet stove in my family and wood like to install a vent to direct the heat to the second floor. Has anyone done this?

I have a cottage that has a gas heater on the first floor and then just a register in the ceiling of the first floor (which is the second floors floor). The heat passively migrates to the second floor.

They make ones that are decorative for this purpose. Its a simple and inexpensive solution. If you are talking about forced air then you would need to consult your pellet stove manufacturer to see if they have blower kits that would support ducting.

They still make the through the ceiling collars, with floor reg with dampers and ceiling register. They work good for letting the heat in a upper story and they are safe to use.
Later Paul

You want to check with your local Fire Marshall or Building Department.

1994 Fire Stops
Fire blocking is required in all stud walls at ceilings and floor levels.
Fire stops must be a minimum of 2X nominal thickness, two thicknesses of 1-inch nominal lumber with broken lap joints, 23/32 plywood with joints backed with 23/32 plywood, one thickness of 3/4-inch Type 2-hour particleboard with joints backed by 3/4-inch Type 2-M particleboard, gypsum board, mineral wool, or other non-combustible material securely fastened in place. Single Family Residential Construction Guide - Wall Framing

2009 R302.11 Fireblocking. In combustible construction, fireblocking shall be provided to cut off all concealed draft openings (both vertical and horizontal) and to form an effective fire barrier between stories, and between a top story and the roof space.
Chapter 3 - Building Planning

Gary

Latest posts

Back