DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Cabinet Hinge Replacement

Old 09-13-2010, 02:24 PM  
Balfro

Default Cabinet Hinge Replacement

In my kitchen I have those European Style Hinges that can only be seen from inside the cabinets and consist of 2 parts (the one attached to the door and the one attached to the cabinet itself), where the two parts are held together with a screw.

I simply can't stand this type of hinge. Tweaking them so they don't leave large gaps on either side of the door is next to impossible and I have to tighten the screws that hold them together at least once a month, lest they fall right off and damage my hardwood floor or cause injury.

Is there any type of cabinet hinge that is compatible with the holes and grooves already in my cabinets and cabinet doors that follow a similar (invisible) style but are one solid piece and doesn't require constant maintenance or upkeep? I don't want to get rid of my cabinet doors but from my knowledge of hinges the only other type available are the standard ones where the joint is visible from the outside of the door.

Thank you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2010, 04:32 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 116 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 65

Have you tried some thread locker like Loctite to keep the screw from coming loose?

Old 09-13-2010, 04:46 PM  
Balfro

I was unaware such a product existed. That might do the trick, however that wouldn't solve the annoying tweaking problem to make them even. Can this stuff come off of the screw or is it permanent?

Old 09-13-2010, 07:25 PM  
kok328
Supporting Member
HRT_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 116 Times on 101 Posts
Likes Given: 65

You can purchase various types that will allow for removal or a type that just keeps them from coming loose. If the screws keep them even then the thread locker will do the trick. It won't come off the screw once applied. go to World leader in Construction Adhesives, Sealants, Glue Products, Epoxy and Super Glues | Loctite Adhesives and see which one you prefer.

Old 11-26-2010, 01:44 PM  
nealtw
Contractor

Liked 963 Times on 856 Posts
Likes Given: 1647

You have the cheap hinges, go get a few good ones and change the bad ones.If screw hole are inlarged with glue and wood match stick. They may be half lap or full lap or whatever so take one with you. It is just a quality thing.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:28 PM  
mr_weempers

probably too late now, but if anyone else has this issue, a good replacement would be invisible spring hinges.

best bargains ive found on them, without sacrificing quality, is at dlawlesshardware.com

Quick Reply