DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > How can I easily convert a french door in my apartment into a normal bedroom door?

Old 09-17-2010, 08:57 PM  
bobbyray

Default How can I easily convert a french door in my apartment into a normal bedroom door?

This is a little bit of an odd question, but I live in NYC and the apartment we live in has a study that we are planning to use as a bedroom. The only problem is that the doors are french style (with 15 small windows) and we obviously would like to have privacy in the bedroom. Any ideas to seal off the windows or any other solutions to turn them into "normal" doors? We live in an apartment building so we are not going to uninstall the doors and put in regular ones. How do I cover up the windows?

http://www.exteriorfrenchdoorshop.in...%20Doors-3.jpg

This is sort of what they look like

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2010, 06:07 AM  
budro

a glass company should be able to, or send you to someone, who can install a frosted tint over the glass. it can be removed with a scraper and chemical to help dissolve it later. i used this once in a hospital i was remodeling and it worked perfect. it looked like the glass came frosted. the neat thing is it can be removed when you leave or the landlord might want it left if the privacy it gives is desirable to the new tenant. be sure to check with your landlord for permission. thanks, budro

Old 10-10-2010, 10:57 PM  
profenx

why not just leave it? I think french doors are nice. Put up a curtain with high placed rod inside the room and you have your privacy! just place the rods so they are beyond the width of the door. Put some grommet panelling on it and baam! you have yourself a nice bedroom. Make sure the panels are 3x the width of the door. it'll look nicer that way. Maybe add plantation shutters to the doors. Then you can have sheer panels

Maybe you don't like curtains huh? I guess they sell glass paint that can be taken off. You can paint them and put different paint over for designs or something. I think they come off, but not sure how much work it will be.

Last edited by profenx; 10-10-2010 at 10:59 PM. Reason: added stuff

Old 10-12-2010, 04:50 AM  
Albert_23

Inform your landlord for the added bedroom usage.

Quick Reply