06 Charger build

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Administrator
Reaction score
Well I did it again. I picked up another vehicle. A buddies niece had this car and supposedly it just stopped running one day and her mechanic said she needs a new motor. I was checking it out and he asked if I wanted to buy it for 1500 so I said sure. Its an 06 Charger R/T Hemi with all leather and in great shape except for the motor. I have been kicking my own *** since I sold my 2013 Hemi R/T as they are fun to drive. Figured I could get this one and take my time and build it into something fun to cruise around. So far the battery was dead so I couldn't check to see if it turned over but all the fluids look clean and full so if it is a motor than it sucked a valve or some other mechanical failure. It did not over heat just quit. Heck it could be just a mechanic trying to take advantage of a young woman. Currently he is paying off her loan on it so I can get the title then I will take possession. I am kind of excited about this and it will be the only car I own besides my trucks which should make it fun. My plan is to go through the entire vehicle and make it mine. I will get a few pictures of it when I go by his house this week.

Well scheduled to pick it up friday. Bought a couple parts for it today. Picked up a brand new in the box Mopar cold air intake for 100 bucks, normally 400 from a guy who bought but didn't use.

And also picked up a set of tail lights from a 2010 because I can't stand the 06 tail lights. The 2010 lights look real nice if you paint all but the round part where it should be a tail light.

As if you need a new project!

You're one crazy dude.

I probably would have also bought it also, because...why not?

Exactly, why not. My mechanic neighbor at my shop will put the motor in if I don't want to in trade for a 5th wheel hitch I have for my Dually. I sold my 5th wheel so it sounds like a good plan. Will cost just shy of 3k for the motor installed.

Good luck. I gave up on projects after a tree fell on my last one.

I cant give up. It is what mellows my brain.

Charged the battery and it fired up. Didn't sound to great but it ran. Going to look more into it tomorrow.

Ran the car for a while and it smoothed out. Has a code for misfire but other than that it sounds good.

I've decided to pull the motor and have it rebuilt. Probably going to put a cam and headers on it while it's out.

Why not. Everyone needs a "spud-racer!"

There is a drag strip a few miles from my new property.

My brother is coming out Sunday to give me a hand pulling the motor. Time to order some parts.

Not that anyone cares but I ordered a set of Kooks long tube headers today.

Hey, I did a redneck repair on a muffler. Too cold to do it right. A black stove pipe slid right over it and tightened down with a couple clamps.

Hey, I did a redneck repair on a muffler. Too cold to do it right. A black stove pipe slid right over it and tightened down with a couple clamps.

Shazam Rusty, that right there is red neck engineering at its finest.

Well, this is redneck country.

Decisions? Do I rebuild the motor and just have a car or do I go full on race motor? which means trans work and rear end, suspension, the works?

Started puling the motor today. It's a ***** and a half on this one. Also Brown Santa dropped off my headers. Still up in the air on where I want to go with this motor, I want to build it but my machine shop wants 10-15k for what I want to do and then I have to sink 10-20k into the car to handle it so I might bypass that idea and mildly build it myself.

View attachment 15895414_10210738513035641_211739167712071766_n.jpg

View attachment 15966208_10210738513835661_2224257042319082790_n.jpg

View attachment 15871538_10210738514075667_7674089143003025147_n.jpg

View attachment 15940342_10210738617118243_6801654425574836977_n.jpg

View attachment header.jpg

Back