1/6th inch drill bit

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikejurasw

Reaction score
Hi all...I was drilling pilot holes in door casing mouldings for #3 finish nails, but the chuck on my new Ryobi battery power drill won't bite down on the 16/th drill bit. I had to jimmy-rig it with some electrical tape on the shank. What gives!?

Hi all...I was drilling pilot holes in door casing mouldings for #3 finish nails, but the chuck on my new Ryobi battery power drill won't bite down on the 16/th drill bit. I had to jimmy-rig it with some electrical tape on the shank. What gives!?
My Dewalt is the same, but my Black and Decker works great.

Thanks, guys. I didn't realize Ryobi was lame stuff. I generally go with Dewalt or Craftsman. I have a 5-amp B & D (plug-in) that still does it all decades later...just inconvenient!

Flip the chuck face down, wide open, and spray a liberal amount of wd 40. It may flush out sone unwanted junk from allowing the jaws to close evenly and tightly.

Last edited:
AGGGG.... I am so tired of this cr#p about Ryobi tools being so sub par. Just like a "handyman" is just a sub par professional.
I have been a "Professional Handyman" for over 40 years. I have tried most of the tools out there. I've used Dewalt, Bosch, Milwaukee, and Ryobi. The Dewalts drills have needed new trigger switches a number of times. Bosch and Milwaukee are good tools, but pricey. When Ryobi came out with their first 18 volt system I bought the first "set. I haven't looked back since. There have been a few setbacks, the first circular saw was junk, The newer ones suit my purposes very well. I have about 15 of their "ONE+" tools, (not lawn/garden) and 95% of them I would recomend to any small business or home owner. I have only replaced 2 of the tools I have purchased. All of them use the same 18 volt batteries.
If you have a large company, or "deep pockets" by all means buy Milwaukee (IMHO the best out there) but for small outfits and home owners Ryobi will perform beyond your expectations. For almost half the price.

I bought two new Dewalt 18 volt when they were changing over to 20s. They were dumping the 18s. So far they have been extremely disappointing. Any smaller bits will just spin in them. My B&D have always worked. I have several drills, a circular saw, a weed eater and a jig saw, all in 20 volt B&D. I am looking at a B&D 20 chainsaw for trimming.

You are aware that Black and Decker makes the Dewalt tool line?

DeWalt (stylized as DᴇWALT) Industrial Tool Company is an American worldwide ... DeWalt is a registered trademark of Black & Decker ( U.S.) Inc., a subsidiary of Stanley Black & Decker.

I know. But I also know that my B&D works better. I believe they own Craftsman too now.

Havasu, thanks for the tip about flushing out the chuck. I will try that on my B&D that has develop a very serious problem with the bits slipping. From reading the range of experiences, it sounds like maintenance might be a bigger factor than manufacturer.

DeWALT is garbage that rides off it’s well known name brand. Their batteries corrupt too easily, they are bulky, and expensive.

I would say Milwaukee is currently the best for cordless, and Bosch is currently the best for corded (in their price range).

I use a Black and Decker daily without any problem. These chairs take several hidden screws.

005.JPG

Makita... My Drill and Driver are Makita, which are both around 5 years old and don't quit. The batteries charge real fast, about 40 minutes for the 4 amp and 30 for the 3 amp.. I have their Weeder and their Oscillating multi tool as well, no complaints except on the weeder, the speed dial is by my elbow and I turn it down accidentally sometimes. I have heard their mowers aren't the best.

B&D... I donated a Black and Decker glorified screwdriver to goodwill for someone that needs it once a year, because the battery takes 8 hours to charge. I had their Orbital sander until it caught fire last week, replaced with Bosch. I still have a B&D Jigsaw, no complaints, but it's wired.

Dewalt... I have their 12" Dual bevel Miter Saw, going solid for 4 years. Their rolling folding stand is garbage though. I replaced it with a Ridgid folding roller, no experience as it's winter now. I have a Dewalt jobsite 10" table saw, same period of time, and a rolling stand for it, both are great. I picked up their Planer this year, no complaints. Dewalt can't make a pair of safety goggles that doesn't massively fog up though.

Craftsman... Sockets only, have the good USA stamped ones, but don't use them. I use a China set, will until they are dead.

Flip the chuck face down, wide open, and spray a liberal amount of wd 40. It may flush out sone unwanted jump from allowing the jaws to close evenly and tightly.

Havasu, your tip was a good one. Decided to try air into my B&D chuck before WD-40, something flew out, and bit has not slipped after a couple tries. Might not always be the solution but it worked for me.

Back