$12K to remove and replace unfinished attic insulation?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Odlid

Reaction score
Quoted $12K to vacuum out ~20 year old blown in insulation and the 1930s batting insulation underneath it into an outdoor vacuum machine to get rid of mice in insulation (mice sucked out with insulation). Then to treat area with disinfectant measures for any mice pee/droppings, and replace with blown in insulation. This is in an unfinished attic big enough to walk around in. Area to be done about 1000 sq ft. This does NOT include removing and replacing the attached attic floor boards which only make up a minority of the attic. (Rest has no attached floor boards. The places with attached floor boards would not be done in this quote.) Nothing else is included in this price. Patching cracks/holes/gaps in house/attic to prevent re-infestation is NOT included in this price. No other rodent control included in this price. This is in midwest (Nebraska). Does this sound high?

Only mice seen was one in attic and one baby in basement. Pest control company said no other signs of mice in basement or main level. No droppings/urine seen in attic. Pest control says there are burrow holes in blown in insulation which indicate mice nesting there.

Quoted $12K to vacuum out ~20 year old blown in insulation and the 1930s batting insulation underneath it into an outdoor vacuum machine to get rid of mice in insulation (mice sucked out with insulation). Then to treat area with disinfectant measures for any mice pee/droppings, and replace with blown in insulation. This is in an unfinished attic big enough to walk around in. Area to be done about 1000 sq ft. This does NOT include removing and replacing the attached attic floor boards which only make up a minority of the attic. (Rest has no attached floor boards. The places with attached floor boards would not be done in this quote.) Nothing else is included in this price. Patching cracks/holes/gaps in house/attic to prevent re-infestation is NOT included in this price. No other rodent control included in this price. This is in midwest (Nebraska). Does this sound high?

Only mice seen was one in attic and one baby in basement. Pest control company said no other signs of mice in basement or main level. No droppings/urine seen in attic. Pest control says there are burrow holes in blown in insulation which indicate mice nesting there.
First off welcome to the forum. :welcome:

I helped a guy do a similar job on his house a couple years ago and it could be a DIY project that would save you a lot of money. You would need at least one helper and all the equipment needed could be rented. My guess 2-3 people working pretty steady could do it in a weekend or a little more. Most of the time the attic floor boards come up pretty easy as they are just planks nailed here and there. You need to address air flow as well as stopping the critters from getting back in. The house I helped on must have had 1000 mice up there and they were climbing an antennae tower that was anchored to the house.

Lets look at the cost breakdown. Say you spent $2K on a dumpster a blower and vac unit to rent and another $2K on materials. Likely high numbers. That would leave you $8K for labor. Lets pick a big number for labor $50/hour That’s 160 hours / 2 men or 80 hours of labor. 2 weeks of 2 guys working 8 to 5 with an hour lunch break.

The truth is the guy contracting will hire 3 guys for 20 bucks an hour and he won’t do anything but watch them.

I think the price is high. I would DIY or look around and find some guys you can pay to help you do it.

Always get a minimum of 3 quotes. That will tell you who is trying to gouge you. Also, if it is not written down in the contract proposal, it won't happen.

Interestingly, there was no mention of what methods and materials to correct and prevent a reinfestation, like repair/replace vent screening.

You don’t show your location.
Labor costs will vary a huge amount across the country.
But around Chicago, that would be maybe three or four thousand.
And definitely a good diy project.
Personally, I hate blown insulation.
So much easier to roll out batts in two layers, at 90 degrees to each other.
To be able to walk up there someday to fix things, like wiring, bath vents, roof leaks, whatever.

OP is posting from the Omaha, Nebraska area.

Back