1950 Apartment restoration/update

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staci_25

Reaction score
I am moving into a pretty little apartment complex, built in 1950.... good news is: I know the owner (my dad!!!) Bad news is.... it needs A LOT of work! Any suggestions on where to start? A few of the particulars are listed below:

Small kitchen:
currently has laminate flooring (that is definitely being removed) I was thinking 8 or 12in black and white checked flooring... the tiled countertops are yellow with flecks of gold (gotta go!!!) cabinets are white (likely to remain so after sanding and repainting them) Was considering removing a door or two so it's open shelving....

Living/dining room:
Hardwood floors (to be sanded and possibly stained before sealing) the two rooms open to each other but are most definitely two sep. areas.

Staircase:
Painted iron... definitely stripping ALL the paint off

Bathroom:
white hex tiles (which will remain, although be grouted with black) the tile has been painted several times and I am anxious to see what color it is, although i have the sneaking suspicion that it will need to be replaced regardless....

2 bedrooms:
hardwood floors

SIDE NOTE:
Any ideas on where I can find things like period door knobs/fixtures/switch plates for a reasonable price?

Wish me luck! this is a heck of a job!

*Will take and post pictures of the current state of the apartment next time I am in town!

Last edited:
For old fixtures see if you have an architectural recycling / resale place near you. Also check out Habitat for Humanity ReStores.

Habitat stores are great, I check there before I go any where else. I recently bought a door from them that would have cost me three times as much at any other retailer.

Pics are up of the entire apt in the state it was left in by the former tennants... will be starting work on it next week I think.... Apt remodel -

more than likely the bath then the kitchen- good news is I have both my family and my husbands family are in town so we've got tons of help!

I see lots of potential -nice hardwood floors, wrought iron railing, fairly roomy. This is a great starter project. :D

updated pics are available..... we had a busy Christmas and an unusual snowstorm so I'm waaaaay behind on the apt.... digegatlilostanv.weebly.com

Looks great! If you guys were in so. cal. I would try to hire you on!:beer:

haha if i were in so cal i couldnt afford ANYTHING and would need to be hired on! BTW, anyone out there know about what it costs to level a 2 story house........ (future project in mind)

Hey Staci! :D That a very nice house you got there! :D Pics looks great! :D

Back