2 black wires, 24v, from Copeland Scroll Compressor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flarfum25

Reaction score
hi all. my outside unit isnt running because the contactor isnt getting the 24v. The 24v is good going into the outside unit but it connects to the 24v wire of the compressor going in and then low voltage comes out. In short, seems like the 24v from the compressor is shot. Most things i read dont even talk about the 24v wiring that some compressors have. Do i need to have this connection or can i run the 24v straight to the contactor and leave the 24v wiring alone for the compressor??? thoughts?

I'd like to see a pic of what your talking about. Typical unit will only have 24V to the relay coil and that's it, so I can't picture in my head what your talking about.
Make? Model?

Try replacing the capicitor

I'd like to see a pic of what your talking about. Typical unit will only have 24V to the relay coil and that's it, so I can't picture in my head what your talking about.
Make? Model?
copeland compressor zr34k1

yeah, i see all the typical 3 wires. This has a 24v going in the top and one coming out. You run that in series with the contactor. No 24 power is coming out of the compressor so contactor doesnt pull in. I've tried finding what exactly the 24v does with the compressor to no avail. think its an overheating safeguard.

copeland compressor zr34k1

yeah, i see all the typical 3 wires. This has a 24v going in the top and one coming out. You run that in series with the contactor. No 24 power is coming out of the compressor so contactor doesnt pull in. I've tried finding what exactly the 24v does with the compressor to no avail. think its an overheating safeguard.

Your make/model is for the compressor itself and they provide for alot of manufacturers. What is the brand of the unit not the part.

I googled your part and it does not show and 24V connections or wiring as I expected. A Pic is worth a thousand words.

Is this a Heat Pump unit by chance?

Better yet, can you show us a wiring schematic for the unit?
Possible printed on the back side of one of the panels on the compressor unit.

Did you ever get this resolved?

I have an older Bryant unit that has the same wiring as you stated. I think you might be right about the overheating safeguard.

I found this online. I don't know if it's relevant of not.
Some compressors have an internal thermostat that senses winding temperature only. This thermostat is wired in series with other components in the low-voltage control circuit and will open if temperature limits are exceeded. This in turn opens the control circuit, deenergizing the compressor contactor.

unit was ancient and had no pressure. wouldnt have been able to find freon easily, if at all, so replaced unit.

Back