2 of my sprinkler zones activate intermittently

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

affan habib

Reaction score
I have a TORO ECX sprinkler timer. I have 3 zones. 2 of the zones work intermittently. I tried to reprogram but got the same result. I have noticed some issues with my unit though. When I turn the know to Set time/day position, the hour does not flash all the time. If I push the know or switch it back and forth a few times then it starts to flash. Also when I tried to clear the memory (put the know to OFF and press ON/OFF at the samevtome, only CLR is displayed (CLR0 does not show up). Is my unit bad or can I do something to fix it. My unit is about 22 years old. Thanks.

I bought a new Rain Bird timer and connected but ylthe same 2czones are not working. Any help?

First, I would look at the wires to the valves to see they are intact. On my old system, manufacturer saved a few pennies by not putting a strain relief where the wires entered the solenoid, and the wires would break right there, commonly.
All valves will have a knob or something to manually activate the valve. Second, I would turn on the valve manually to check that it mechanically works and is getting water.
Third, I would put a meter on the solenoid valve wires and check if they are getting power when ON. If not, then also check if for power at the terminal strip on the controller.

First, I would look at the wires to the valves to see they are intact. On my old system, manufacturer saved a few pennies by not putting a strain relief where the wires entered the solenoid, and the wires would break right there, commonly.
All valves will have a knob or something to manually activate the valve. Second, I would turn on the valve manually to check that it mechanically works and is getting water.
Third, I would put a meter on the solenoid valve wires and check if they are getting power when ON. If not, then also check if for power at the terminal strip on the controller.

Thanks. My 2 zones I am talking about works sometimes. The chores look intact. Do you know how can I check the valves manually ?

Best to clean up the top of the valve a little, then try to read the brand/model of valve. Then search it on the web. Even if you can only get the brand off it, you should be able to get pretty close to the correct model number just from the pictures of the various models.
On my old Hunter PGV valves, you would manually activate the valves by rotating the solenoid. Some valves have a knob or lever to actuate.

If it works sometimes. then test the wiring when its not working.

Best to clean up the top of the valve a little, then try to read the brand/model of valve. Then search it on the web. Even if you can only get the brand off it, you should be able to get pretty close to the correct model number just from the pictures of the various models.
On my old Hunter PGV valves, you would manually activate the valves by rotating the solenoid. Some valves have a knob or lever to actuate.

If it works sometimes. then test the wiring when its not working.

I tried to open the valve manually. One worked and the other 2 ( which were not working through timer) did not. However when I also see water seeped from one sprinkler from each zone. It's surprising because I know these 2 works sometimes. Any idea what should I do next?

Thanks.

You can get any valve. Just ensure over-all size and fittings work out.

Good to hear it's working. I have issues with mine every year.

Latest posts

Back