2v low voltage on circuit

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the light switch , it is common in residential wiring to run 2 wire w/ ground Romes to the single pole switch . In that case , one of the wires will be a switch leg and one a hot . So , the white , in that case is not a neutral & you will read 120 VAC to ground . The white , in the ceiling box is connected to the hot in the ceiling box and the black is a switch leg , in the ceiling box ( if it is feed hot from the ceiling box ) .

If it is feed hot from the switch , then the white is a neutral and the black to the ceiling box is a switch leg .

If you are getting 120 VAC from the white in the ceiling box to ground , sounds like you may have a loose neutral some where and the neutral is " hunting a ground " .

God bless
Wyr

Correction, that junction box is for the dome light, the first receptacle in the circuit, besides the transfer switch.

The initial set up, there is 120 VAC for hot to ground and neutral to ground. and 1.3V hot to neutral.

After i separated the wires, reading from the wire connected to the panel:
Hot to ground 125.5v
Neutral to ground is 0v
Hot to neutral is 0v

Is this normal? by when i connect the other wire, i get 120 on neutral?

I checked the neutral on the panel. I actually had to remove 2 cut neutral wires from the neutral bar. previous Electrician moved left it hanging there. I organized the neutral wire and insert to another slot on the neutral bar. Same issue. There are other circuits using the same bar and have no problem. Just this circuit ever since i plugged in that charger. Breaker did not jump.

It seems like neutral to ground should be 0V but is hot to neutral be 0v using a volt meter tester? I want to make sure the source wire is good between the receptacle and the panel before i test for the open/loaded neutral.

So the problem must be downstream, maybe to the switch.
If upstream, that will be at the panel and i checked all the wires. Unless the neutral wire is shot.

Last edited:
i also had a bathroom fan that quit working. when the electrician tied the three wires together he did a shitty job. over the years (12) the two fan wires -white-(1 fm fan, 1 fm light) had slid
down over the neutral wire casing. tied them all together and all works well. in another house i had a neutral wiggle lose on an outlet and everything south of that outlet was dead (or
low voltage - didn't have meter back then). once neutral was tightened, all worked well.

Wow, how much that cost you? Yea I disconnected all the wires and want to make sure the hot wire from the receptacle is a direct run to the panel.

Went to attic and took some pic.
The wire coming in should be the first receptacle. Following the hot wire/open neutral, it runs directly to the back of the house. And there are about 8 wires coming from that area. Should be going to the panel. House is a hi ranch and the wiring mainly goes to the attic, then feeds to bottom floor. Anyone know how I can test for continuity on just the neutral. I am able to pin point the neutral in the panel, and even moved it to another slot. Still no luck.

Attachments

• 20181130_215226.jpg
    20181130_215226.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 20181130_214113.jpg
    20181130_214113.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 3
Your voltage readings indicate the neutral wire is open. Look for an open connection between the light and the panel.

Latest posts

Back