3 Way Switch Puzzle!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Greetings folks!

I'm dealing with a wicked problem with some old wiring thats hurting my brain. Hopefully you can help.

DESCRIPTION
I have an old house (built in the 1920s, wiring last updated in the 1950s) where at the back door there is a three way switch that controls a light fixture on the house and on the detached garage. The other 3 way switch is on the detached garage.

This setup was working at one time with the old wiring so it know its possible.

I replaced the wiring in the detached garage and now Im going through the process of hooking the new fixtures back up to the wiring coming from the house.

Things to note (and are weird) about this diagram:

1. The wires coming from the main into the gang box are reversed (hot is white, neutral is black). I marked this in the diagram with a "1". Im showing in the diagram that the HOT wires has a RED halo on it. The neutral wires has a WHITE halo on it.

2. The the wire colors in the diagram reflect the real colors im dealing with (example: the neutral wire going into the detached garage is blue. There are two orange wires going into the garage)

3. I put numbers and letters on the connection points I need help with.

GOAL:
It would be awesome if someone could suggest how to connect the numbers to the letters in this diagram that would get the three way switches to control the two light fixtures.

Thanks!

O0dNEaJ

https://imgur.com/O0dNEaJ

Attachments

• schematic.png
    schematic.png
    91.2 KB · Views: 5
Back