3 way switch

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clcmbtn

Reaction score
So in my hall I have a light that is wired thru a 3 way switch. Yesterday when I turned on 1 of the switches the light didn't turn on. I just thought it was the bulb. So I replaced the bulb and nothing. So I pulled one of the switches and i'm only getting 80 volts. I pulled the other switch and I'm getting the same thing. Anyone have an idea?

Hi, where are you taking the readings and what are you using for a meter?
Geo

Hi, where are you taking the readings and what are you using for a meter?
Geo
Are you taking the readings only on terminals on the switch? This is not a complete circuit. You need to be at the point where power comes into the circuit and measure from the hot (black) to neutral (white). The neutral is not on the switch. You would also get 120VAC (nominal) from hot (black) to ground (bare or green)

Here is a good graphic and explanation of the various ways of wiring a 3-way switch circuit.

http://www.electrical101.com/3way-switch-wiring-using-nm-cable.html

Found it. Pulled the fixture down and the neutral was not in the wire nut. I can't for the life of me figure that one out, but problem solved. Thanks guys

As slownsteady said above it is important to be sure that the rest of the conductors are tightly nutted together as needed.

Not to alarm you but - "Loose Wires-Start Fires" - loose wires can cause arcing and then the wires heat up etc.

Back