3 Way Switch

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1000r

Reaction score
I just replaced a 3-way switch. I am 99.9% sure I wired it the same as the existing switch. Now, when this switch is in the down position the other switch works properly. When the other switch is in the up position the new switch works properly. In any other position nothing works. I connected the black (hot) wire to the common terminal. The white wire is connected on the same side of the switch and the red wire is connected to the other side of the switch. This is how it was connected in the old switch. Any help is appreciated.
Source URL: 3-Way Switch Issue

Welcome to the forum.

First question is are you sure the switch you bought was a 3way switch?

Can you post a photo of how each switch is wired by pulling them out of the jbox and taking a picture?

Welcome to the forum.

First question is are you sure the switch you bought was a 3way switch?

Can you post a photo of how each switch is wired by pulling them out of the jbox and taking a picture?
Thanks for the reply bud16415. Someone else suggested that the black might not be the hot wire. (I always assumed it was.) So, I switched the black and white wires and it now works. I really appreciate your taking the time to reply.

If you only change one switch you got the wrong wire on the common. You can not move the wires by position.
If you only changed one switch then try a different wire on the COMMON. The COMMON is the black screw.

If you only change one switch you got the wrong wire on the common. You can not move the wires by position.
If you only changed one switch then try a different wire on the COMMON. The COMMON is the black screw.
Thanks JoeD. I did switch the wire to the COMMON and the switch works fine. I appreciate your response.

Back