'95 Chevy C1500 Silverado

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zannej

Reaction score
So, my brother (against my advice) bought a 1995 Chevy C1500 Silverado extended cab with 2WD. It wasn't even able to be driven when he bought it, but he was adamant that he had to get it. It had some stupid lift kit, the rear driveshaft had fallen off, and the U-bolts were broken. It also had a broken driver seat, broken center console, and shattered driver side mirror. Oh yeah, and the battery was bad.

It's already proven to be a money sink. We went to U-Pull-It and got some used parts (a seat, console, trim for the dash, misc stuff). He just got a used rear driveshaft but it didn't fit so we're currently looking for one.

It's a 5.7L V8 engine, 141.5 Wheel base, 4L60E automatic transmission, 2 door extended cab. I think it takes the driveshaft with 15 splines or teeth or whatever. Not sure. Problem is, I've searched the parts stores and seem to be able to find everything BUT the damn rear driveshaft. Our mechanic friend said we need the rear part of the rear driveshaft, but all we seem to find are the front parts.

Anyone know how I can find the part number for that driveshaft? I want to get the stupid thing running so I don't have to drive him to work and back. LOL.

I saw all sorts of listings for axles, suspension, and all that stuff. I personally don't know enough about the parts to be able to recognize things, but the friend said what to look for. Hoping to go back to the U-Pull-It place and see if we can find a similar model truck that might have the same driveshaft that isn't damaged.
tumblr_o3fbvjla9K1qkwd9ao1_1280.jpg

tumblr_o3fbvjla9K1qkwd9ao2_1280.jpg

Edit: my friend said it is one driveshaft with 2 parts and the length was close to 46.68. I see listings for ones with 44.54 or 44.28. Not really sure what the replacement would be.

Is it two parts contained by a carrier bearing? The splines will usually expand or constrict about an inch, so you should be good.

If you have the old one it only costs about a hundred bucks to have it re tubed. I build my own all the time for my jeep projects.

I'll have to find a picture... It is a metal thing with a yoke on the end.

Here's a photo of the sticker on it
12814295_799954850137382_7615091494919712365_n.jpg

I *think* it might also be called a propeller shaft, but I'm not sure.

Don't know if anyone around here does retubing. But I can ask around.

PS. I looked up the part number on it and it says it does NOT fit that truck. So, I wonder if it was the wrong part to begin with and that was why it broke the retainers and fell off. My friend thought it was because it was bent...

I found the part online and drove out to get it. It was still on a truck. They pulled the whole piece (front and rear) so it cost a bit more, but it doesn't hurt to have a spare front part. Then we took it to a friend's great-uncle who works on trucks. He got the front end separated from the rear for us and gave some tips on how to get it connected. Friend got it installed but there's something else wrong. The back end of the truck moves too much so my fiend thinks something on the axle isn't connected properly. Either that or it needs a new axle. Think it would be $100 for a used one but about $1k for new.

Hopefully it can be fixed. For now I get to tease my bro about having a twerking truck.

Rear axle assemblies are simple. Can only be one of a few things.

Carid was a very useful site for finding part numbers and figuring out what fit and such, so thank you! I have that site bookmarked.

So, we found out what the problem was: A previous owner or dealership had replaced the original rear with the rear from an S10. It didn't have the proper hanging loop thingies and instead had some sort of metal plates and one was broken.

So, my bro ended up getting an axle pulled from a Suburban (one that was the same size of what should have been on his truck). It cost him $200 to have the guy at the local salvage place pull it for him-- and apparently it was not easy and that thing is heavy as hell. Dude had an adorable pit bull running around, playing, and wanting to cuddle with people. They have a "Beware Dog" sign and one of the frequent customers told us "The only danger from that dog is that it might lick you to death." She kept going under the suburban and licking the face of the guy who was trying to remove the axle. LOL.

My bro and friend got the old axle off and the new one in place. Old one still has emergency brake lines attached or something.

12801698_803762783089922_8898181224453733834_n.jpg

12821500_803762756423258_2533528155836483674_n.jpg

Right now, both rear tires are flat.

So far my brother owed our mother over $600 for stuff for the truck. He's paid down $200 and it cost him $210 for the replacement axle and hangers.
Now he needs new tires-- tire place said rotation and new special mud tires will cost $645.
He was trying to avoid a pothole and went in a ditch on the right side of the road, managed to get out of it but was giving it so much gas he zipped across into the opposite ditch and blew out a rear tire. He had to walk to the house and ask me to tow him out.

He had some tie-down straps and wanted me to pull him backwards. I told him tie-downs would break and that there was no way it would come out backwards because of the angle. After tiedowns broke a few times he surrendered so I took him to work, grabbed our friend from AutoZone and he brought a braided steel cable with hooks on the end. Not sure where he found it, but I want one.
He said there was no way it would come out backwards so he had me back up to the front of the truck, hooked up the cable, and honked when he was ready for me to start towing. Pulled it right out, but then he had to change the flat tire. Only the spare was too small for the truck so it couldn't go more than 40mph.
Bought him some food at Popeyes as a thank you.

Doofusaurus forgot to check the oil in his truck. The gauges don't work and he didn't remember that the seller told him it burned oil up really fast. So, his engine burned out and I had to take him to get a replacement. He had me go pick it up in the Ridgeline, but failed to mention that he hadn't made arrangements to take it out of the Ridgeline and put in his truck. So, it is still sitting there and I haven't been driving it because I'm worried the engine might get damaged.

Is there an emoticon to express that someone is a dumbass?

Well hopefully the new one doesn't burn so much oil. I know it can be hard to pop the hood and pull on that little stick.

Yeah. The new engine only had about 70k miles on it, so if he can get it into his truck undamaged, it *should* be better. They just put oil in it and it looked to be in good shape.
The problem is, they have to get something to lift it out with and we don't have the equipment for that. Also, since his truck doesn't run, it has to be towed to wherever it is going to be done. One guy said he'll do it for $500 but he'll need help (he's a friend's great uncle who is probably in his late 70s). Another said he'd do it for around $450. Then a coworker said he'd do it for free, but they have to find a time where both of them are off work and he will have to pay to have the truck towed over there.
Meanwhile, yesterday my brother knew I needed to use the car later in the day and ended up working a double shift without telling me first so I wasn't able to go back into town. But his boss did let him pop in to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription for Mom and then gave him a bunch of free pizza, cookies, etc because he was happy that my bro stayed. A couple of the employees were no shows and they had a baseball team and a 20 person birthday party come in at the same time. He's getting paid overtime at least.

Today I'm keeping the car and dropping him off.

One has a motor in the rear.

Yup. And it isn't tied down all that well. If we had normal paved roads it wouldn't be as much of a concern-- but our roads are full of pot-holes and I'm worried the engine will get damaged.

I'm really hoping he can get it taken care of this week. He ended up staying out all night instead of coming home after work and today is his day off-- but I'm willing to bet he won't do anything about the engine situation because he just went to bed.

STILL waiting for him to get the motor out of the rear of the Ridgeline. He found someone who will put it in for $300, but it has been raining every damn day and the guy doesn't want to work on it during thunderstorms.

It looks like rain chances on Wednesday and Thursday are low, so hopefully he can get the guy to do it one of those days.

The CR-V gets used all the time. Haven't used the Ridgeline since doofusaurus put his engine in it. I have gone out to start it and sit in it for a bit to make sure the battery doesn't run out.

Trying to get the diphead to take some initiative and contact the mechanic. It was a mutual friend of ours who found the mechanic for him, but diphead hasn't done squat about making contact or trying to arrange a time for repair.

Easy peasy. Chain the block to a tree and drive away.

Latest posts

Back