'95 Chevy C1500 Silverado

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give him 2 weeks to get the thing fixed, then you'll call and have it towed to the crusher and no more rides to and from in your car.

Update: The engine still hasn't been removed from the back of my truck, although not through lack of my brother trying.

My bro met with the guy (who came recommended from a good friend) gave him the keys and paid him half up front ($150). The agreement had been that the truck was to be towed to the guy's house just down the street from where it has been sitting, the engine would be taken out by Monday and the whole job would be finished by Wednesday.

So, the guy texted my brother to bring the motor in on Monday around "lunch". So, we went in to meet with him and the guy didn't ever meet up and we couldn't get ahold of him. Finally someone answered his phone for him and said he was napping. Over an hour later we finally heard back from him and he said he was "tied up". We spent several hours waiting when he finally told us two things: 1) he had NOT had the vehicle towed to the agreed upon location and had instead had it towed somewhere on the opposite side of town (technically outside of town I think) and 2) he would have to do it Tuesday (which is now today) and to meet him around lunchtime.

So, again, we drove in and he did not give us an exact address-- just the street name. So, we drove up and down that street looking for my brother's truck and there was absolutely no sign of it anywhere. The guy was supposed to be meeting us at the location, but way after lunch the guy finally texted back that he had to mow his father's lawn and then would meet us. So, we waited a few hours and were getting frustrated that we couldn't even find the vehicle. We said all we needed to do was offload the motor and then he said his truck wouldn't start. We said we could go give him a lift or try to jumpstart him. He didn't reply to that, but then said he couldn't do it today and that he was going to get a lift from his brother to go take the engine out-- which was the part that he was supposed to have done already-- and he said he would give us the address for where the truck is allegedly waiting once he gets it (most of the places didn't have street numbers and the street itself didn't have a sign).

So, now I've told my brother that I will not drive it back in until the guy confirms for certain that he is not going to bull**** us and that he will actually meet with us and remove the engine from the back of my truck. But right now, we don't even know what happened to my brother's truck.

I'm giving him 'til the end of the week. If he doesn't at least let us see the truck before the end of the week, we will call the cops and report the truck as stolen.

The people are one of the things I hate about this area. They are just so unreliable. My brother was pretty livid about it because he had to waste time when he was supposed to be resting before work and he doesn't get very many days off.

Granted, he was the one who burned his engine up in the first place and he should have been more proactive about getting things fixed, but having people blow us off is really really frustrating.

Our friend picked the guy up at 5:30am and helped him take the engine out this morning and we drove in to drop off the engine. They are working on it right now.

Bad news was, while it was in the person's yard someone stole the LED headlights. Our friend said he will find out who took them and get them back. They are rather distinct looking, so they will be hard to miss.

I now have free use of my Ridgeline. Yay!

LOL. Unfortunately, there is a problem with the manifold. Old one was warped and new one had a bolt break off inside & it is stuck. They spent a couple hours trying to get it out and will resume tomorrow.

The truck is *still* not fixed. The boy who is supposed to be working on it apparently burned his hand rather badly somehow. My brother was told it was from his radiator, but I don't know. The boy is full of excuses. If it had been up to me, the truck would have been taken to someone else to work on a loooong time ago.

I'm worried that by the time this guy is done the transmission will be broken and the radiator may be ruined.

I just don't think the kid knows what he is doing, but my brother knows even less about vehicles (although he tries to tell me he knows a lot about them).

Buy a Haynes or Chilton manual, it is very step by step. A monkey could do it!

I'll pass that on to my brother. Right now he's using my mother's CR-V so he's not very concerned with getting his truck back.

I'm going to have to do a lot of cleaning on the inside of the CR-V when he finally gets his truck back. It's a disaster in there and smells like marinara sauce.

Turns out the boy burned his arm on his own truck (something about a radiator, I don't remember for certain) and it was a bad burn so he's not able to work on anything for awhile. At least my brother hasn't paid him the rest of the money yet.

Your brother will probably spend the money at a video arcade and popcorn. Watch him like a hawk!

Well, the lucky thing on that is that there aren't any video arcades around here and he's not overly fond of popcorn. LOL.

But he buys a lot of candy (despite his diabetes), cookies, and junk food.

And he's letting his boss do something illegal-- having him work fewer hours this week and then having him work 40 hours next week, but will take some of the hours from next week and put them toward this week so it won't look like it is a labor overage (since 40 hours counts as overtime for Pizza Hut). But somehow he thinks he will get paid more that way and his boss won't get in trouble for not managing employee hours well.

In all reality if I were him I would say OK. and just do it. I disagree with all these stupid labor laws. As long as you are being paid for the hours you work who cares how they do it. The law has made it hard for employers and employees to get ahead. To many whiny people thinking they are worth more than the owner and get these things passed.

Yeah, he doesn't have a problem with it. I just wonder if he is making less money that way, but I don't know how his pay system works.

So, the boy said the job is done BUT the engine is flooding and it still can't be driven. My brother wants to arrange to pick it up and try to figure out how to fix it without the boy because he said he wants his truck back sometime this year.

Could the boy have screwed something up to cause the engine flood? He already broke a bolt on the manifold and broke something on the exhaust system.

I'm hoping that he can get if fixed soon so I can clean up the CR-V and get the smell of marinara sauce out of it.

If it is fuel injected it is not flooding.

Does it start at all?

Maybe the oxygen sensor is bad. It might not be getting enough air. That would seem like it is flooding. Or maybe he isn't smart enough to know that you don't touch the gas pedal when starting a fuel-injected vehicle.

no spudder or fire at all could mean a lot of different things. Flooding it would still fire at some point or at least try.

Thanks. I have no idea what the symptoms were. And last night my brother drove the CR-V into a ditch and messed up the trim around the driver side front tire.

He said that another friend looked at the truck and said it's not flooding anymore and that he can see about picking the truck up tomorrow.

Does that mean it runs? and for how long?

Thanks. I have no idea what the symptoms were. And last night my brother drove the CR-V into a ditch and messed up the trim around the driver side front tire.

He said that another friend looked at the truck and said it's not flooding anymore and that he can see about picking the truck up tomorrow.

Doesn't sound like your brother should be driving.

Chris, I have no idea. My friend said that when they were working on the truck there was an important part that got set aside and then they couldn't find it. My brother still thinks the guy who worked on his truck is competent-- I think the he's a nice guy but not the brightest bulb and I don't think he is really competent. Truck has still not been picked up.

So, I don't know WTF the deal is right now.

Latest posts

Back