'95 Chevy C1500 Silverado

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your brother is likely learning a life lesson on this one. Really anyone can swap a motor with a basic tool set and a manual. Not all that hard. Problem is people that think they know more than they do or they come to a stuck bolt or something and don't approach it the proper way.

Your brother is likely learning a life lesson on this one. Really anyone can swap a motor with a basic tool set and a manual. Not all that hard. Problem is people that think they know more than they do or they come to a stuck bolt or something and don't approach it the proper way.

Usually, the electrical is the hard part.

Only if you don't take the time to label or take pictures of where everything goes.

I wish my brother had learned his lesson. I think he is too trusting and he doesn't know nearly as much as he thinks he does about cars. He got the keys back to his truck now, but he hasn't made the time to go get it.

I'll bet if the keys to the CRV are taken away, he'll find a way to pick it up... Just sayin.

My brother called the other night and said a deer ran into the side of the CR-V and dented it. I went out to look and was sort of skeptical about his story until I saw the deer hair stuck to some of the trim on the car. Deer apparently ran away afterward. The dent looks minor-- I think that it can just be pushed back out. There is no damage to the paint.

He finally picked the truck up BUT it is not in street legal condition. It has problems that didn't exist before it was "fixed". The AC, left blinker, and left taillight are not working. Also, it still doesn't have headlights.

Our friend knows who has the head lights but the guy is in jail. When asked where he got them, the guy claimed he bought them from our friend's father (who is a crackhead). The father stealing them actually makes sense. Our friend is trying to see if he can get the keys to the guy's truck from the guy's mother/grandmother to go get the headlights back. If he can't, my brother needs to order new ones.

I don't think much of your brother's friends.

I'm actually scratching my head on her brother as well. ;)

So, my brother took his truck to a more reliable mechanic who guaranteed his work. He bought a new windshield motor because somehow that had died. Started driving the truck a bit and the transmission slipped.

The '95 used a particular transmission that isn't interchangeable with other years. We know because and a friend (after buying a used tranny that turned out to be bad-- despite the seller promising it was good) had to get a new transmission for his own truck and it cost about $1400 but then the intake broke when he was putting it in so it ended up costing another $600 ($300 was to pay the mechanic and the rest covered the intake).

My brother finally realized that buying this truck was a huge mistake and he's throwing in the towel. He's looking in to getting a Ridgeline or CR-V now. Only problem is the airbag recall issue.

95 is a bad year anyway. You can't buy a scanner for one. The OBD1 goes through 94 and the OBD2 starts with 96.

95 is a bad year anyway. You can't buy a scanner for one. The OBD1 goes through 94 and the OBD2 starts with 96.

Ok, I'm ignorant on this matter. A scanner?

My brother decided to let our friend have his tires/rims because the friend really liked them, so he swapped them out today. The friend thinks he can get about $1k for the truck if he sells it. I think he'll be lucky to get $500 for that hunk of junk.

A scanner gives codes to tell you what needs to be fixed, it reads the computer.

There can be several sensors that can cause the same problem if bad, a scanner can tell you which one to replace.

A scanner gives codes to tell you what needs to be fixed, it reads the computer.

There can be several sensors that can cause the same problem if bad, a scanner can tell you which one to replace.

Ahh. Ok. That thought crossed my mind but I wasn't sure.

Right now my bro is looking at an '07 Ridgeline and hoping it will come down in price. It has heated seats and a navigation system. Seller never got back to us on the red one we saw online and this one is newer, has more features, and is about the same price.

Nice looking car but a lot of miles for the cost. What is blue book?

Nice looking car but a lot of miles for the cost. What is blue book?

Maybe I'm not doing it right, but kbb.com said the price range is $9,088 to $11,615 (but it didn't let me input condition). The page is not working well for me right now.

That is what it said is the fair market value when buying from a dealer. I'm not sure what parameters to choose to find just the actual non-retail inflated value.

The carfax said it had a minor accident in which the airbags did not deploy. It looks like it has a very minor dent on the right side of the bumper, but I'm not certain.

The price check was for the Houston, TX area since that is where we seem to have better luck finding them. Not much for sale in Louisiana. Although sales tax went up 1% since we bought our last vehicle. So, it will likely be something like 9.7% tax on top. With that and other fees it will probably come out at a little over $10k unless they drop the price more-- which they might do toward the end of the month.

Since I'll be loaning my brother the $, I will have to take my money out over several days bc I'm pretty sure the crappy bank here won't give me more than like $2k at once and they charge $10 for a cashier's check.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to argue the price down if possible. I don't think wearing something to flatten my chest, wearing a fake beard, and trying to sound like a man would work. :p

Back