House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi! I want to clarify at the outset that the tiny leak I refer to in the title is not in a normal pipe carrying water under pressure. Instead, it's in the set of pipes of my hot-water heating system, and my particular system is an old-fashioned one that doesn't have a pump (it's a gravity system) so that the only leak-promoting force is gravity.

The leak is in a pipe right near the boiler, and is easily accessible. As the water has dripped out over the summer I haven't refilled the system of course, so as the weight of the water above the leak has decreased, the leak has become very slow-- one drop every several minutes.

So I have two questions: 1) What kind of sealant should I use? 2) Is there a sealant I can employ without fully draining the system first, which is a procedure I'd like to avoid?

oldognewtrick, I don't know what it's made of exactly, but it looks like old-fashioned pipe material that might have been used in the first half of the 20th century.

soonyb, thanks for the recommendations. Since I'm an utter novice, let me ask you: Would all of them (paste, tape, spray) be equally effective if the leak is continuing, albeit very slowly?

The pipe is probably either red or yellow brass, iron, black iron or galv. and yes the tape is designed for your application, and you can find the detailed application instructions from the individual web sites.

Thanks a milion, snoonyb, and forgive me for misspelling your name the first time! I'll be whizzing off to the local hardware store shortly!

I don't get a good feeling about this. Could you take a picture or two of the pipes where the leak is? Just wrapping a leak in tape to stop a leak in a hot water heating system just doesn't seem the way to go.
Let's see what we are dealing with before offering "informed" opinions.

I have used
Oatey 30115 Hercules Boiler Liquid Stop Leak, 1-Quart

by Oatey

4 customer reviews

Price: CDN$ 42.04 FREE SHIPPING.

3 new from CDN$ 42.04

• Seals and repairs cracks and leaks in steam and hot water systems
  • No odors, no priming, no foaming
  • As the water leaks through the crack, it is vaporized and the oxygen in the air transforms the boiler liquid into a strong, solid substance
  • Contains no petroleum distillates and is safe to use in boilers and systems with plastic or rubber components
  • Tough seal expands and contracts with heat, resists pressure and is not affected by boiler cleaners
  • Seals and repairs cracks and leaks in steam and hot water systems.
  • No odors - no priming - no foaming.
See more product details
You add it to the boiler and then turn the system on and let it run for a day or two .

Post a pic of the issue so we can get a better idea of what you are dealing with.

Back