Adding a ceiling light

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PghNinja

Reaction score
IMG_1261.jpg IMG_1260.jpg I've started a ceiling fan light install. I've done two successfully, but the third one does not power the bulb on (tried multiple bulbs).

I attached the blue wire to the black, and the white to the white with wire nuts.

The blue wire has a crimp connector that I am considering snipping off / eliminating: should I do this?

The white has three wires feed into its crimp, then one to the light kit. Any advice is appreciated. I'm stumped why the light isn't coming on...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not aware of a remote control. Just adding a light kit to the existing ceiling fan. This one seemed like more of a bare bones ceiling fan than the other two (easy to install and they worked as expected). This bare bones ceiling fan isn't lighting the bulb and I was wondering if the blue wire needed clipped so it didnt' feed into that white wire crimp.

I'm not aware of a remote control. Just adding a light kit to the existing ceiling fan. This one seemed like more of a bare bones ceiling fan than the other two (easy to install and they worked as expected). This bare bones ceiling fan isn't lighting the bulb and I was wondering if the blue wire needed clipped so it didnt' feed into that white wire crimp.
Did you remove a light and was it connected to these two wires, there are switches with chains are you sure it is turned on?

That is a capacitor for fan speed control.

I assume you've determined that the light is powered by the blue (and white) wires (conventional arrangement). I'd start by getting rid of all the crimps and twisties in the blue and white wires and see if there's power on the wires when I flip the light switch.

Back