Adding Drawers to Shelves

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eddie_T

Reaction score
I use corner braces to mount drawer slides on pantry shelves and in bottom of base cabinets. I have a floor-to-ceiling full depth pantry and added drawers to three mid-shelves and use shallow cardboard boxes (such as for canned mushrooms, etc.) for the front stuff on higher shelves.

Screenshot 2021-12-12 11.22.49 AM.png

Do you have photos of the finished product?

I really like this idea, as I hate lowers that you need to get on your knees to dig something out of the back. I have always said all base units should be pull out drawers and this is a great way to get around that as I'm stuck with my bases. :thumb:

I tried to get a close-up of the corner brace. I use a machine screw to attach the brace to the slide.

1212211259.jpg

I think I would even make the backs of the box higher and maybe the sides taper down. I hate stuff tipping off the backs. We have one we keep all this tupperware like stuff in, for leftovers and you never dig to the back.

We have a tall pantry with slides and i was just telling her about converting ours over and before i told her she said i had a bottle fall over the back yesterday and had to take everything out to get it. LOL.

I couldn't do full width drawers in the pantry because I have storage in the doors. You can see some of the shallow boxes on upper shelves. I can set them out to get to the less often used stuff in the rear.

1212211308.jpg

I made the drawers shallow with the thought that I could add height if necessary by gluing in thin plywood (or hardboard) panels.

For high kitchen cab. shelves I cut one foot Masonite squares that I use to slide out the stuff, a 0.5" x 0.5" x 12" strip serves as a handle.

& throwing out expired stuff is a full time job.

My pic is blurred but you can get the idea. This is my pot drawer under the cook-top. I used taller brackets for the slides.

1212211330.jpg

I had a company redo my kitchen with sliding draws every where . so much better .

I'm building a mobile kitchen island. My master carpenter friend said put drawers in it. My friend was one of the founding Ranneklev Brothers.

Ranneklev Bros. Inc.

If the items are bulky you can use wire grid shelves. More visibility that way.

Back