Adding sprinkler heads

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spicoli43

Reaction score
I have 7 or 8 heads on each zone as is.

I want to add probably 4 new heads to each zone and use the Orbit 360 degree 15 foot popups because they are the only ones that work.

I have fought Rain Bird 45 foot sprayers or whatever they are for 8 years with no luck. There is real bad spots in the lawn that need help and don't get water, no matter how I adjust the rotating heads.

I know the Orbit 360's work because I replaced existing sprayers with them, and a formerly very dead patch is one of the best parts of my lawn now, it's just that I need to splice inline and add more heads to cover all the areas that don't get water. I would say there's probably 10 feet in between each head that won't get water if I had all Orbits right now, so adding the additional would overlap, exactly what I want.

My question is how many heads can be powered in one zone? To me, it's just pressured water, but there must be a limit?

Thanks.

You would have to start by looking up the specs on your sprinkler heads to see what the rated water consumption is.
You would also have to measure your water supply flow rate, using a large bucket.

https://www.rainbird.com/homeowners/how-many-sprinklers-can-be-used-zone-or-valve
Note there is a link there to Rainbird's design manual.
But I am guessing you are already pretty much maxed out at 8 pop ups. But it still might work out if you add more heads, but they each spray not as far.

Back