Adding Wall/Partion in house

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonym

Reaction score
Hello,

I am wanting to partion a a part of my house to create a new room but need some advice on materials.

I want it to be relatively sound proofed and will be plaster finishing it and apply a nice cream paint coating.

Now from my previous readings I would setup a frame using timber and plaster board on either side to create the partion.. is this correct?

When I look around for plaster it seems to come in small sizes, now if I am only creating the frame with timber what do I use to connect the plasterboard together to make the wall... hope this makes sense....

Also, with regard to sound and heat insulation... what would I use to help restrict noise levels between the two rooms? and would I simply stick the insulation behind each side of the plaster board...

Thanks

Welcome TonyM:
The wood frame and gypsum wallboard part are correct. Just use insulation to the thickness of your wood frame (normally 3 1/2"). I don't understand the need for plaster though; you can simply use the adhesive fiberglass tape on the joints and cover it with drywall compound. It may take more than one coat, with sanding in between, to make it smooth over the joints and screw heads. Attach the wallboard to the studs with 1 1/2" screws made for that application.
Glenn

Curious as to your location? In the U.S., we need light and ventilation to newly formed rooms. You also need a heat source, and if a new bedroom- needs an egress window. There is also a minimum room dimension requirement for habitable rooms. Are you in Europe?

Be safe, G

Back