Addition

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hennesseek00

Reaction score
I am looking at remodeling a house that has a pier and beam foundation. The house is in a great location, but only has two bedrooms and one bath. Would it be possible to add on a second story to this existing house? My concern is adding to the weight of the house and if the foundation was intended to support additional weight. If so, what factors should I be considering other than the obvious potential situations?

I would say chances are you could go up but you won’t know until contact a pro to run some numbers on what you have for footings and structure.

With new construction going up might have a cost savings over a larger foot print. It could also be better for heating and cooling etc. with an existing structure I don’t know if that will hold true. You may be limited with going out with your additions or you may not. With going up you will have to deal with the existing roof line and taking it down and designing a new roof. You will have to find room for stairs etc.

There may be reasons you want to go up for views or to change the appearance of the house in some way. If I had the land and just needed more room and a home built as yours is I think I would look at going out first. Or look at both methods and then make up your mind. Nothing is impossible but you may have to add in support.

Thanks for the info bud! Would I be wise to contact an engineer or an architect to help with my questions and concerns or should my contractor be able to handle it all? My only other option was a total demo and start fresh. Do you prefer pier and beam or slab foundation?

First step is just talk to the city, there may be rules you are not aware of. Height restrictions, allowances to side of property, max house size for size of lot size are just some things you should know. Around here you would have to draw up a set of plans and submit them with the city for approvel so asking questions first is a big plus.
How old is the house, how many sq. feet, and type of foundation and footing does it have now.

House was built in 1953 and it's 1,116 square feet. Houses are selling on the high end around $275 per square foot. I can purchase at 253.5 per square. If I increased the footage, it should be able to get my investment back. It's pier and beam.

If you were going up you will need a geo, engineer to look at soil condition and footing size.

Back