Affordable Home Decor Items

Discussion in 'Decorating and Design' started by Dyson, Sep 16, 2010.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. Oct 17, 2019 #21

zepper

zepper

zepper

Soon after I put up my "wall wood", an artist friend dropped by and suggested I add some paint to make the piece more, you know, more artsy-craftsy.

I realize this sort of thing may not be everyone's cup of tea—but my wife and friends think it's fun. o_O

wall_wood_2.jpg

zannej likes this.
  2. Nov 3, 2019 #22

thebuilder20

thebuilder20

thebuilder20

^ Certainly my cup of tea. That looks great.

Found something for those who like to smoke and be high - cannabis-related decor. It does not have to be photos of the marijuana leaf, which seems like it would belong to a stoner kid's room some years ago. There are vintage-looking propaganda posters (which are reproductions) featured on this article that I'd like to have even though I'm not really not a user. Hemp is also said to be a sustainable and non-toxic source of fibre for furniture. Can be tasteful when done right and won't burn a hole in your pocket, from what I gather.

3. Nov 5, 2019 #23

zepper

zepper

zepper

Thanks! BTW, the colours are a bit more subtle in real life. :?)

Fun! The sensationalistic anti-pot posters are hilarious. I don't think my wife would go for one in the living room, but it'd be great in my music studio.

I know this is off-topic (probably off-forum), but since you've mentioned it: Yes, hemp is an amazing fibre. It's more durable than cotton and wool, takes much less water to grow, and is easier on the soil. From what I understand, the cotton and wool industries conspired in the '20s to demonize marijuana to remove hemp's competition in the textile market. Levi's Jeans will soon be using hemp/cotton blends as part of its sustainability practices, and have even developed a method of softening it to cotton-like consistency—there's an interesting story about it here.

zannej likes this.