Air Compressor for Garage

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DMMU

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I'm looking into getting an air compressor to keep in the garage for general purposes (air powered tools, debris cleanup, filling tires) so I don't need to go overboard, but would hate to cheap out and get something that doesn't fit the bill. Do y'all have recommendations for what to get? I understand the specs like capacity and horsepower, but don't know how that translates to practical use. Thanks in advance!

What's your budget? Do you have 220 available or just 110? Do you want it to be mobile or will stretching hoses work for you?

I have a Campbell Hausfeld about like this one. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200402413_200402413?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Air Tools + Compressors > Portable Air Compressors&utm_campaign=Campbell Hausfeld&utm_content=1910441&gclid=Cj0KCQjwguDeBRDCARIsAGxuU8ZczbHVKa-UC4HbRSs4vyTqKkHfpCNUR-J-2BpTYoJBgNwgTmiqFNQaAsrxEALw_wcB

I don’t need to move it around so I set it up off the floor about 3’ on a table I made to hold it in an out of the way spot. I wired it to an outlet that’s controlled by a switch and in the second outlet I plugged in a small wall light over the compressor. The light helps me see the compressor and is a reminder to shut it off when I close up the garage. Under the plastic cover where they give you the place to attach a hose quick connect there are 2 other places with plugs in them. I connected to all 3 and also added quarter turn ball valves so I have 3 zones I ran one hose into my workshop up the wall in the garage across the ceiling thru the wall and have the remainder coiled up on a Large mig wire real. Another runs across the ceiling and drops down in the center of the garage and can reach all around. The third one I have run to be used outside in front of the garage. Lots of messy stuff is better outside than inside like spraying fluid film on the bottom of the cars. And most of the tire filling happens outside.

This is big enough for most air tools and stays as 120V. Paints great.

I have another 20 Gallon tank I can attach and fill up if I need to toss it in the truck and need to fill a tire on the road or something. What I also use that tank for is I will attach it to one of the 3 points when using one of the others. It gives more capacity to the system for things like sandblasting.

Once you get a compressor you will wonder how you lived without one.

On edit:

The reason I wanted it up in the air is there is a valve on the bottom you open once in a while to get the water out.

The biggest concern is cfm not PSI for tools you plan to run.
I've been using a simple pancake compressor I bought from CPO tools factory reconditioned for at least 5 years and had 0 issues even when running two roofing nail guns at the same time.
Impact gun removing lug nuts not an issue.
Spray painting, sandblasting, several other tool your going to need a far bigger tank and more CFM (cubic feet per min. )
This is the one I bought.
https://www.cpooutlets.com/factory-...ake-air-compressor/pcbrc2002r,default,pd.html

I have a Porter Cable pancake compressor that I got as a kit with a finish nailer. It is fine for air tools, using an air nozzle to blow off equipment, filling tires, etc. As Joe mentions if you're going to be spray painting you'll want a bigger tank. One of these days I want to run a line from my basement up to the garage so I can have a hose in the garage for filling tires while keeping the compressor itself in the basement with my workshop. For now, I just drag it up the stairs. Being a pancake compressor, not a big deal.

Unless you're going to be doing a lot of air powered mechanic/car work, like air sanders, the small compressors will work just fine. I've got a small cylinder type that I've used on the jobsites for 20 years with no problems; runs all my nail guns just not all at one time.

Thanks for all the replies! I've got 110V and budget is a couple hundred dollars. Not that I'm not willing to spend for quality, I just didn't think I'd need anything too powerful. Mobility would be necessary since I'd use it in the garage and out back with air tools for deck maintenance. It sounds like one of those smaller compressors would be just fine.

I have both a small compressor and a 60 gallon 230 volt compressor. Both come in handy at times, if I had to choose just one it would be the small one. The floor tank takes up space, the small one usually can handle anything I want it to.

It is nice if you can locate a larger compressor outside in an enclosure or down in the basement as in my case. You’ll hardly hear it and it won’t take up any space at all. Just locate the switch in a convenient place on the wall of the garage and run your airline along the inner wall of your garage to the outlets in convenient locations. You really only need A couple one of which near the entrance.

If you’re going to be doing real air tool actions or any sort of painting These daysYou’re probably going to want a 60 gallon preferably 230 V unit. You can get away with the small ones but you’re constantly be kicking yourself when you start runnng out of air. Air tools use lots of it in today’s world. Remember that if you’re doing a lot of mechanical stuff, particularly painting.

One other thing to remember is the CSM ratings of all let noncommercial compressors somewhere between an exaggeration And an out right lie, Que :rolleyes:Joe Isuzu, remember him? So with all that in mind bigger is better really is more of a need than a wish. So consider all those ratings you see in the advertisements to be something akin to politicians promises when you’re making your decision.

I have an eight gallon(??) compressor from Harbor Freight, it's a great little compressor, but it can get real fussy if you don't have a good enough power source. Take a look at Huskey, Kobalt, or Craftsman usually you can get something decent sized, middle of the road for a good price.

I have an eight gallon(??) compressor from Harbor Freight, it's a great little compressor, but it can get real fussy if you don't have a good enough power source. Take a look at Huskey, Kobalt, or Craftsman usually you can get something decent sized, middle of the road for a good price.

Any compressor or tool can get a little sketchy on a long extension cord due to voltage drop. A heavier cord will help, but always use the shortest cord possible. With an air compressor, it is better to use a long hose instead of a long cord. The added benefit of a long hose is the noise is further away.

Any compressor or tool can get a little sketchy on a long extension cord due to voltage drop. A heavier cord will help, but always use the shortest cord possible. With an air compressor, it is better to use a long hose instead of a long cord. The added benefit of a long hose is the noise is further away.

Even when I plug it directly into the outlet it trips the breaker on the air compressor every once and a while

Even when I plug it directly into the outlet it trips the breaker on the air compressor every once and a while

What is the amperage rating on the sticker? What else in on the circuit? I assume it is less than 15 amps because if it took more, it would have a plug with the one blade perpendicular to the other. If you have other outlets on that circuit in use at the same time you could overdraw the circuit.

All's I know is that it's just the GFI outlet on the side of the house

GFI, :mad:I’m betting that sort of explains it. Those damn things of been driving people crazy since they invented them doing things like that.

I never had an issue with the outlet itself, but the built in breaker in the air compressor itself.

GFI, :mad:I’m betting that sort of explains it. Those damn things of been driving people crazy since they invented them doing things like that.

I know those damn things. I try and use my circular saw outside in the rain standing in a puddle and the GFCI keeps tripping.

:sarcasm::pickup:

My compressor died last week and is going to take a little time to fix. The motor quit working and a new one is a couple hundred bucks so I want to see if the motor guy can fix it. Plus the big pulley has a little wobble and I have to look at that. whenever I have time it’s too cold to mess around with it and we have two cars and each of them has one snow tire that needs a little air about once a week.

Long story short I was at Harbor Freight yesterday and they had the little 3 gallon pancake job on sale for $39.99 I have no idea how they can build and sell anything for that price. So I bought one. It pumped right up to 100 PSI and shut off. Filled a tire just as fast as my big compressor. Has a nice handle on the top to carry it around. So it’s a keeper. I have no idea how long it will last but from the outside it looks well made.

Anyone that needs a cheap compressor it’s a great way to get started. For 5 bucks you can get a 10’ hose for it and for 15 bucks a 50’. They sell a kit with fittings, air chuck (for filling tires) tire gage and a air gun for 15 bucks also. 20% off coupon if its not on sale I used on a hose, and I got another free magnetic dish. I stick them on the fridge and just about have it covered now.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-gal-13-HP-100-PSI-Oil-Free-Pancake-Air-Compressor-61615.html

Back