Air Compressor repair

Discussion in 'Garage & Workshop Forum' started by havasu, Jul 6, 2018.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.
  1. Jul 6, 2018 #1

havasu

havasu

havasu

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

My Craftsman air compressor (25 gallon) had a leaky bypass valve. Problem was, everyone I spoke to couldn't tell me why the air was leaking down beyond the pressure between the tank and the valves. I priced out all the parts, and they came to over $100, but couldn't guaranty this would fix my problem.

The other day, I see my neighbor had tossed an old, unknown brand air compressor out in the trash to be hauled away. I saw the bleeder valves, bypass valve and pressure switch were all the same as what I had. Well, it took 2 hours and swapped out the parts with all my defective parts, and now I have a solid running air compressor. I lubed it up and tightened all the shields, and it is like a new compressor.

Oh, by the way, it is 109 in the garage right now, so I am a pile of sweat but it was worth it. Expected to climb to 116 today. Hell, today is hotter than it is at the Colorado River!

2. Jul 7, 2018 #2

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

Fixer Upper Staff Member Admin Moderator

Way to go. Scrounged parts are the best.:great:

It’s only been getting high 80’s here but the humidity is almost 100%. I have been working in my workshop and running the $5 AC I got at a yard sale. Had it 68 in there today.

3. Jul 7, 2018 #3

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

Necessity is the mother of invention. And you thought it was Frank Zappa, didn't ya.

4. Jul 7, 2018 #4

havasu

havasu

havasu

Now I regret not telling my a/c installer to add a few ducts into the garage.

5. Jul 7, 2018 #5

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

Fixer Upper Staff Member Admin Moderator

Grab a 10,000 BTU window unit and frame a hole thru the wall. It won’t tax the house unit and will do wonders when you are out tinkering on the hot rod. :D

nealtw likes this.