Air Compressor repair

Discussion in 'Garage & Workshop Forum' started by havasu, Jul 6, 2018.

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating:

1. Jul 6, 2018 #1

havasu

havasu

havasu

Administrator Staff Member Admin Moderator

My Craftsman air compressor (25 gallon) had a leaky bypass valve. Problem was, everyone I spoke to couldn't tell me why the air was leaking down beyond the pressure between the tank and the valves. I priced out all the parts, and they came to over $100, but couldn't guaranty this would fix my problem.

The other day, I see my neighbor had tossed an old, unknown brand air compressor out in the trash to be hauled away. I saw the bleeder valves, bypass valve and pressure switch were all the same as what I had. Well, it took 2 hours and swapped out the parts with all my defective parts, and now I have a solid running air compressor. I lubed it up and tightened all the shields, and it is like a new compressor.

Oh, by the way, it is 109 in the garage right now, so I am a pile of sweat but it was worth it. Expected to climb to 116 today. Hell, today is hotter than it is at the Colorado River!

inspectorD likes this.
  2. Jul 7, 2018 #2

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

Fixer Upper Staff Member Admin Moderator

Way to go. Scrounged parts are the best.:great:

It’s only been getting high 80’s here but the humidity is almost 100%. I have been working in my workshop and running the $5 AC I got at a yard sale. Had it 68 in there today.

3. Jul 7, 2018 #3

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

oldognewtrick

Necessity is the mother of invention. And you thought it was Frank Zappa, didn't ya.

4. Jul 7, 2018 #4

havasu

havasu

havasu

Now I regret not telling my a/c installer to add a few ducts into the garage.

5. Jul 7, 2018 #5

bud16415

bud16415

bud16415

Fixer Upper Staff Member Admin Moderator

Grab a 10,000 BTU window unit and frame a hole thru the wall. It won’t tax the house unit and will do wonders when you are out tinkering on the hot rod. :D

nealtw likes this.